What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butterfly Summer........

rust remover

yes like 'CURERUST rust REMOVER DIP,which takes away rust.
I wouldnt use a rust treatment as this binds the rust that is present and u could be left with a ugly raised surface.
The dip can be diluted with water if worried of the effects.

You can get them at Halfords and Homebase......etc...
cheers

Have you considered blast cleaning, you can use all types of cleaning media ie glass bead etc.

Hi Chris,
Another good idea thanks but i must consider costs at the moment.
All ideas taken onboard though gentlemen!

best

waff

The problem wth glass or sand blasting if the metal is fragile and the pressure is very high ive seen drouges dissintergrate

Hi Steve,
Yes,i can imaging the drouges would drop to bits in a blaster.
I will prolly opt for the paint stripper.

best

waff

Last edited:
Since this thread was started,i have decided to commission a restoration job from our man Satan18 after the super job done on my S-mine off another member(BMG50).

I cant wait for the SD2`s as ive seen a sneak-peek and they look awesome!
The first one can be viewed in another topic in this restoration forum.

best

waff

Last edited:
It is worth of trying Oxalic acid ( C2H2O4 ) for removing rust from painted and weak items, like SD2 wings. I have tried near all possible acids and other methods and found this being the best. However it does not effect on heavy, clumpy rust but removes nicely surface- and medium rust without eating too much of the steel. Also if there is original paint still attached on metal below rust it will not be peeled off as with other acids.

Dosing is simple; mix 2 handfuls of the salt in a bucket of warm water and dump the items in. You see no reaction happening, it neither smells and you may do this in your kitchen without too much trouble with your wife. Depending on type of rust after -2 hours you see the rust has disappeared, possibly the item is covered with a layer of loose bright yellow dust. Wash the item and dump for a few minutes in mild solution of water and Caustic Soda to neutralize acid residues and dry.
A good point in caustic soda is that if you still have the yellow dust in corrosion spots it turns to olive green and if the item originally was painted to field grey the paint it's nicely restored.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Cheers for the extra tips Reino.
Those wings of mine were fairly `gone` when stripped so our man Phil has restored them best he can and they look super.
I reckon your tips will work on wings in better condition,thank you for posting them.

cheers

waff

I'm always amazed when I take an item which shows some original paint and a lot of surface rust and see how much more original paint appears in process.

Hi Paul
That part of a wing you have is not a part its a complete wing
The germans produced a number of arming vanes , this item could not have armed a butterfly bomb fuze , the idea was for a high flying German bomber flying above our bomber force , was to drop a load of these bombs with that arming vane onto the bombers below.
As far as i understand these trials were never carried out?
Restoration of the bomb cases a good wire brushing with a electric drill is all they really need , the bakelite gaines are nice to have as they were for the (41) and (67) and (70) fuzes . the arming rods be carefull not to bend them as the wires snap very easily .
Are the bomb bodies have a hole in the base?
Regards
Steve

Hi Steve, I'm trawling the forum looking for information on the strange little wings and came across your explanation. If the small wings were too small to arm the bomb the what would be the point in using them, you would have thought if they were going to be dropped onto bombers they would need to be armed?
Were many produced? Are they used with a standard 41 fuze with a screw thread or with the bayonet fitting ones?
Have you any photos of a correctly restored one with these wings? I've got a few of them and several of the bomb bodies and want to make sure I get the right bits fitted together.
Thanks.
Dave.

Good question Dave,
I would have prolly thought an instant impact fuze would be used? straight 41? (screw thread)

cheers

waff