What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Projectile

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi Could anybody help me with this projectile i picked up to day its a 20mm without its tip or fuse it has a tracer cavity in the base and writing in white
T 20mm TPT and stamped in the steel are
20K DM 48 A1 LOS RH 027
DM 1027 LOS RB-1-60. it is 65mm high. do anybody know what its from and has anybody got a fuse for it or tip.:laugh:

Cheers
Andy
20mm-6dc018ee22355e6077512785399023a8.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is a Taget Practice Tracer (TPT) projectile for the Modern 20x102 NATO round of US design. The "LOS" indicates manufactured for the German military in Germany ofr possibly elsewhere. It would have been fitted with an inert solid aluminium nose plug. Someone else can probably give you more information on the markings.

If HarryG is correct then:

Developed by Hispano-Suiza in the late 1940s as a more powerful replacement for the wartime 20 110 mm round. The new weapon which accompanied it, the HS820 gun, became one of the most successful 20 mm designs ever made and was widely purchased throughout the world as an aircraft and ground weapon. As a result of this wide distribution the cartridge was adopted by other designers who developed suitable guns, notably the German Rheinmetall Rh202, the French M693 and the US M139.

From Jane's Ammunition Handbook

(1) ignition vent;
(2) striker;
(3) delay cap;
(4) expelling charge;
(5) seal;
(6) ejection tube;
(7) extension tube;
(8) nose cap;
(9) bullets;
(10) silicon shock-absorber;
(11) rubber gas seal;
(12) driving band

Thats Ok Falcon there is so much to know i have been collecting for 40 years and i am still learning :laugh: Andy

Yes, agree with Harry. It is most likely from the 20 x 139 though rather than the Hispano.

Regards
TonyE