What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian 2Pdr A/T Gun in NY !

Mike P.

Hi Gents ..Thought I'd share a little adventure with you on how I ended up with one of my favorite items in my Collection ..a 1942 Australian 2Pdr Anti-Tank Gun !
I was hoping to someday find out how it ended up in the US but , at least it found it's way to me and not the Scrap Yard !
It was sitting behind a House (in the woods) for years. He had no idea where it came from. I was trying to buy it from him for about 1 year but..we couldn't agree on the price . The owner had contacted the IWM and was told that these Guns were very rare and thought there couldn't be more than 14 of them left worldwide (I'd think there'd be more than that). So , the seller wanted $25,000 !! It took a year for him to realize that it's easier to sell a Helmet than a Cannon so , he calmed down and we cut a deal.
I had it towed home ..here are a few shots of it when I first bought it.
DSC00178.JPG

Last edited:
The Red Circle with the Stenciling could hold the key to where it came from ..or who had it. So before I stripped it and primed & painted it , I took many close-ups . I don't know how to photoshop or "enhance" the pictures but ..maybe someday they might make sense.
One Collector suggested that it could have been captured by the Japanese and painted by them ..then captured by the US and sent back to the States for evaluation.
Sounds a little far fetched for me:dry:
I think it might have been just a "shipping Label" stenciled on
DSC00207.JPG

It weighs 1700 pounds so ..here it is being towed by my M880 Pickup, which handles it better than my Jeep. The other Black beast you can just about see (to the left of the pickup )is my Dodge M886 Ambulance
DSC00195.JPG

( I know , this was not easy)
We had to make sure it was properly "Neutered" and completely Legal so ..an Army Armorer followed our US regulations and cut a 40mm Hole , cut the Recoil mech and plugged it.
Yes ...it hurt.
But , I loan my items for public displays, Schools, TV shows etc so ..I didn't want any problems. Besides ..since a Pro did it and cared ..it was done right and doesn't affect how it looks on display
DSC00225.JPG

After Stripping it, Steaming it down ..Red Oxide Primer and 2 Coats of OD Semi-gloss. Then New Wheel Bearings and ND Tires ..here it is -
DSC00264.JPG

Last edited:
My Jeep is a 1944 GPW , at first I was worried about how it would handle towing the 2Pdr but ..it does a great job
DSC00260.JPG

Hi Mike great Pic's could the red spot be
The 5th Indian Infantry Division as they had a red spot on a black background just a thought, and welcome aboard.
Andysarmoury (Andy)

That's a good point and , makes more sense than it being a Jap Meatball. It does (or did) have a black outline .
But ..would they have done such a large one ..hard to hide the Gun with a large red dot on the front ..I don't know.
Here's another angle of it ..can you see the Stencil ?
DSC00207-7fdc76a1664732f8cad83adca6b108f8.JPG

I was "surfing" Ebay last year and found this ..Couldn't believe it , The EXACT Scope that belongs with my Gun and also made in 1942 in Australia --and CASED --for $100 Buy It Now !!!
I couldn't hit that button fast enough.
The rubber Eye Cushion is missing but maybe I can find something that will fit.
That was pure luck
do191.jpg

The shop that had it was on Cape Cod so ..someone probably thought it had a Nautical connection / Ships scope and ..it ended up on the Cape. They had no clue
(I did;)
Anyway ..It may sound strange but , I've been getting phone calls from different towns asking to "Reserve" the Gun for Parades ! It's already been in 2 West Point Parades, 2 in my Home Town and 2 other Towns. Now another Town is sending a Truck soon to pick it up and use it in their Memorial Day Parade ..they are about 1-1/2 hours north of me and I don't want to drive it that far.
I started putting together a few Australian Anti-Tank Unit items and ..a few Rounds and anything else to help the display.
Bad enough our Schools don't teach very much about WW2 or Military History these days. Many of the "general Public" get their History from watching TV ..they think Private Ryan was a Documentary.
Since we're in the US , our Soldiers role in WW2 is always in the forefront (same in every Country ..their boys first) BUT , I want ALL OF THEM represented and remembered , not just ours. And having a "Tool" like this available helps bring the Commonwealth Soldiers service and memory to life.
Here we were driving into West Point ..I was following a friend of mine ..that's his Half-Track
West_Point_7_4_2007_006.jpg

This was 2 years ago ..My friend drove the Jeep and I ended up driving his Half-Track ..I'm still trying to cut a deal with him to buy it , maybe someday.
That's me behind the wheel ..still in my Kitchen Whites !:p
DSC00315.JPG

The Disabled Veterans even borrowed it ...Man did we have a time trying to SQUEEZE that old Vet behind the wheel.
The whole time he kept saying --
" I remember these seats as being adjustable"
" Are you sure it won't slide back ?" :woohoo:
DSC01182.JPG

Here's my Wife and I at last years West Point 4th of July Parade.
I am so lucky she put up with me and this Hobby:blush:
West_Point_7_4_2007_023.jpg