What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to keep a woman happy!

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
give her some shells to paint - well, these ladies appear to be enjoying themselves anyway! The serious point though, is that perhaps we shouldn't be too concerned with achieving a perfact finish, in real life it was slapped on with a tar brush and the runs wiped off the driving band with an old rag.
sh-42f38ba85e5c286bca441e6eca546970.jpg

Nice point Dave,but why do yours look so good? Anybody who knows Dave will tell you his paint jobs are A1.Tony.

thanks Tony - good point. When you see original paint on shells with paint missing, stencils at an angle, brush marks on the bands, paint runs etc, it just looks natural and right. You repaint a shell into that state and it looks just awfully amateurish. Having restored all those shells for that other place I have had many sleepless nights over a brush mark or smudge. So yes, I restore them for display - the public want 'pretty', the public gets 'pretty'! Dave

I think the one thing you cant fake easily Dave is age,plus original paint seems so thin which gives a different look than layers of thick modern paint,perhaps its the noxious lead and other nasties that are deficient in the modern stuff! Keep up the good work Tony.

Give her plenty of Brasso and some dirty shell cases

Fuzeman (single male )

I agree with Tony, Dave's paintjobs are excellent - Dave are you just as good on woodwork, as I've got loads that you can do around the house!!!

BD