What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25pdr Smoke shell

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi All i have just finished this 25pdr smoke shell.
Andy
Smoke_shell.jpg

Thanks Spotter it took allot of hacksaw blades and filing but i think it was worth it.
Andy

What a cracking job Andy! are the smoke cannisters original? Looks very good.Tony.

Hi Tony Thanks the smoke pots are wood i turned them on my lathe, they will do as a stand in until i can get some originals.
Andy

Thanks guys, it was a tough one to cut through, but it looks good sitting next to my HE.:laugh:
Andy

That is fantastic mate,I was wondering if you could clear something up for me,a mate of mine is finding a lot of brass discs where he is finding 25pdr smoke shells...are these some form of gas check from the shells? Thanks Sean

Nice job Andy
At the risk of being pedantic! - is that colour on the outer body correct for a BE Smoke?
I thought the `almost` BRG colour was HE?

Hi H, as far as i am aware it is correct, as they did change the colours after the war
Cheers
Andy

Great cutaway model. And yes, it takes some sawblades, but than you have an absolute interesting oiece to add to the collection.

Thanks for posting,

Regards, DJH

Hi Andy heres a pic with the baseplates for both 25 pdr and 4.5"HOW the discs im talking about are on the left

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 62
Hello all, it was a nice job on the shell, Andy. If I ever find any smoke canisters in good condition I will get in touch with you. Torch, your photo is a bit fuzzy but I'm sure I have some of the same discs, made of copper. I too was wondering whether they were from 25 Pr Smoke shells. I'm wondering if they were fitted immediately above the base plate to ensure an even push on the plate from the pressure generated by the gunpowder bag(s) on top of the highest smoke canister. I noticed that some of mine have a central indentation, as a kind of witness mark, the sort of mark that the weakened brass disc on the base of the fuze magazine might make when it opens out on the fuze firing - perhaps there was a similar arrangement (gunpowder booster?) next to the copper discs. I have no diagram to help me.

Colour is correct. When the HE was yellow the Smoke BE was Brunswick green with a red band denoting the presence of some form of explosive material, in this case the charge to eject the smoke cannisters. When HE changed to dark green Smoke BE changed to pale green. Sorry, don't know the correct colour names. Pale green perhaps eau de nil. Beautiful job by the way. You must be VERY patient. Keep up the good work. Next one Armour Piercing ??

Colour is correct. When the HE was yellow the Smoke BE was Brunswick green with a red band denoting the presence of some form of explosive material, in this case the charge to eject the smoke cannisters. When HE changed to dark green Smoke BE changed to pale green. Sorry, don't know the correct colour names. Pale green perhaps eau de nil. Beautiful job by the way. You must be VERY patient. Keep up the good work. Next one Armour Piercing ??

In confirmation, Eau de Nil is the correct term for the pale green colour.