What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winding ZZS/60nA german clock fuze

hothmobile

I got a really nice clock work fuze and it even ticked when I let the hand up for the escapement. It ticked for a while and stopped. It needs a good cleaning.

but my question is, after reading the info on the clockwork, it says to wind it they inserted a key into the hole on top plate. (I can see where they mean since it could engage the teeth and wind the main spring. Can I make my own or has anyone found a way to wind it so I can get this working again? I want to wind it and make it tick again. The striker has not engage yet as it stopped.

thanks for any input.
makethumb-c190686591dab41db6627d3a14da85c8.jpg

Hi if its the same as the German (17) clockwork fuzes i ,ve made a winding key out of Chubb Keys See picture , all you need is a fine file to file each spline ,so that the overall diameter is just slightly smaller than the hole size
Clock_keychubb.jpg

that does look like exactly what I need for the Thiel clockwork fuze, But the number 17 bomb fuzes were made by a different company. where can I get a chubb key like this to try and make it work?

My fuze was made by Thiel. but, I know very little about these things and are very new at it. So for all I know, maybe they used to same gears and springs (they were bought from other companies anyways like in swtitzerland) so maybe they do fit.

Could you explain better how you made the key? What is a chubb key? Where could I buy one (online I guess since I live in USA so would I be able to make what you made?

I measured where my winding key should go, it's 5mm wide. is that same as the number 17 bomb fuze winding hole? the teeth on the gear to turn main spring look pretty small. I wonder if mine is different from yours then.

you mean like this I guess?

but are there different sizes of these chubb spline keys? I want to get the same one you did so it's close to the right size.

thanks.
chubb rack bolt key? here is a set of 4 different models for windows and door locks. I guess yours is one of them, do you know if it's model number 8001,or 8002, or 8006. Or are they all the same size and the models are just for different locks?

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/ind...tches+&+Latches+Door+Locks+Bolts+And+Security
http://www.cglass.co.uk/chubb-8002k-key-pr-17718.html

Hoth',

I've measured the barrel from a "Mechanism, Time, 43 sec., No4." I was going to say that it is .5 module (44 teeth, 23mm OD) However, the pressure angle seemed a bit odd. Upon examination with a magnifying glass it transpires it is not a spur gear at all. I'll make some detailed drawings to ascertain the diameter of the winder and number of teeth.

The Chubb window key will be much too big.

However, please not these dimensions are from a British mechanism but, I can't see there being too much variation.

Found your last email in my 'spam filter' I'll email you shortly I've found some more diagrams.

Tim.G.

oh, thanks so much for helping me out.

let me know when you get the specs about the teeth. i agree that the chubb key might be too big as I believe fuzeman said it's 10.5 mm wide. My winding hole on the top plate is only 5mm

I do believe that the british thiel copy is same size as the german thiel fuze.

thanks so much man.

my email is hothmobile@gmail.com if you want to email me directly.

update, you guys don't have to worry for me anymore, I found a clock man here in the states what said he could make a key on a lathe for me. He was a bit hesitant when I showed him the whole fuze, he said. Oh my god, is this a bomb," and I said, relax, it's an illumination round and there is no detinator for it to hit anyways. Since I teach history sometimes (I usually have to teach math and science) I told him I wanted the students to see how this time unit worked.

then he said he was happy to try and make a key.

thanks for all of the input guys,