What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

57 X 390 (6 pounder Davis gun rounds)

Since the camera is coming out tonight, I will get you some shots and I will attempt to take some measurements of the primer so you can make one.

2 Pdr Davis Gun Primer details

The 2 Pdr Davis Gun round. The center of the primer is 4.75 inches from the mouth of the case. There is an indexing button at the rear of the case that is in line with the primer.

When looking at the closeup of the primer, there is what appears to be a screwdriver slot across the part of it that protrudes out from the side of the case. The slot measures .065 inches wide, and it divides the protruding part of the primer into 2 half-moon shaped pieces. The outer diameter of these is .475 inches, and measuring across each half-moon, they are .110 to .120 inches thick. They protrude .035 inches above the outer surface of the case wall. The hole going into the inner primer chamber is .200 inches in diameter. Looking at the closeup of the primer from the outside, a circular joint can be seen that is outside the half moon pieces. That joint looks like a circle .700 inches in diameter.

Looking inside the case, a larger diameter cylinder can be seen that extends .50 inches into the case. It is .830 inches in diameter, and is hollow. There is a hole from the chamber into the case, but I don't have a way to measure its diameter.

Attachments

• 2 Pdr Davis Round.jpg
    2 Pdr Davis Round.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Primer closeup.jpg
    Primer closeup.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Primer Internal view.jpg
    Primer Internal view.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 23
This question is probably completely ignorant, but what would be the use of a gun firing out both ends? Dano

Dano, to take what Falcon states a little further, at least in the beginning the concept was that you could eliminate or reduce the recoil, and potentially also reduce the weight of the gun. The combination of the two made it conceivable to start loading serious calibers on aircraft.

Davis Guns

OK all you Davis Gun enthusiasts!

This is a picture of the workshop at Royal Naval Air Station Battersea (South London) taken probably in 1918.

See how many Davis guns you can spot and what calibre they are. I am trying to track down exactly where in Battersea it was, as I grew up and went to school there. The main RNAS armament base was at Wormwood Scrubbs in west london, so this must have been an outstation.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• RNAS Battersea.jpg
    RNAS Battersea.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for the photos Hazord. Here is the replica I fitted to the member's case.

The "primer" is a component of something else that looks very much like the Davis primer.

Attachments

• davis_primer.jpg
    davis_primer.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 35