What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Balloon Incendiary Bomb ?

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Having a look through my stuf i found this image,the text is in German,I think it shows a Balloon dropped incendiary bomb,,to me it looks like it releases either the No76 grenades or something similar,Does anyone know anymore about these ,were they actually used ?,any info welcome.........thanks for looking spotter

Seite056.jpg

Operation Outward was the name given to the British World War II program to attack Germany by means of free-flying balloons.

Outward made use of cheap, simple gas balloons filled with hydrogen. They carried one of two types of payload.

A trailing steel wire, intended to damage high voltage power lines by producing a short circuit.
Three incendiary devices - six pound (2.7kg) flexible socks filled with flammable material - that were intended to start fires in forests and heathland.
A total of 99,142 Outward balloons were launched: 53,343 carried incendiaries and 45,599 carried steel wires.

Compared to Japan's better known fire balloons, Outward balloons were crude. They had to travel a much shorter distance so they flew at a lower altitude (16,000 feet, compared with 38,000 feet) and had no need for a mechanism to regulate altitude by means of dropping ballast or venting lifting gas. However the balloons were simple to mass produce and only cost 35 shillings each.

History
On the night of 17 September 1940, a gale broke loose a number of British barrage balloons and carried them across the North Sea. In Sweden and Denmark, they damaged power lines, disrupted railways and the antenna for the Swedish International radio station was knocked down. Five balloons were reported to have reached Finland.

A report on the damage and confusion reached the British War Cabinet. On 23 September 1940, Winston Churchill directed that the use of free-flying balloons as weapons against Germany should be investigated.

The Air Ministry initially produced a negative report, possibly because the Ministry of Aircraft Production felt balloons would be ineffective weapons and would use up too many resources. However, the Admiralty took up the idea with more enthusiasm. They concluded balloons had the advantages of being low cost and not placing British personnel at risk. The design of the German power grid made it vulnerable to damage by short-circuit and large areas of pine forest in Germany made the countryside vulnerable to random incendiary attack. Furthermore, winds above 16,000 feet tended to blow from west to east, making it harder for the Germans to retaliate with similar balloons.

After a lengthy bureaucratic struggle between the Air Ministry and the Admiralty, the British Chiefs of Staff gave the go-ahead in September 1941 and a launch site was set up at Landguard Fort near Felixstowe in Suffolk. The first launches took place on 20 March 1942. Within days, the British were receiving reports of forest fires near Berlin and Tilsit in East Prussia.

Intercepts of Luftwaffe communications soon showed German fighters were trying to shoot down balloons. This encouraged the British as it was felt that the harassment value on German air defences alone justified Operation Outward. It cost the Germans more, in terms of fuel and wear and tear on aircraft, to destroy each balloon than it cost the British to make them.

In July, a second launch site was set up at Oldstairs near Dover. On 12 July 1942, a wire carrying balloon struck a 110,000 volt power line near Leipzig. A failure in the overload switch at the Bohlen power station caused a fire that destroyed the station; this was Outward's greatest success. Balloon launches continued, though they were frequently suspended when there were large air-raids on Germany as it was feared the balloons might damage Allied bombers. In the lead-up to D-day invasion, balloon launches became more sporadic. The last balloons were launched on 4 September 1944.

Source: Wikipedia

The picture shows Phosphourus Bottles (Balloon Device "C" ) and Canisters with wire (Balloon Device "B" ).

Device "B". suspended close to the balloon may be found a small canister, of ordinary tin colour, 8 in. diameter and 9 in. long with lengths of string or wire which may amount to a total of 1,000 feet attached. The contentents of these canisters are harmless unless exposed to a naked flame.

Device "C". This device is associated with the canister used in device (b). It consists of a cylindrical metal container 8 1/4 in. diameter and 9 in. long fitted with a lid and holding seven or eight short-necked half pint bottles containing a mixture of phosphorus and benzine which ignites immediattely if the glass is shattered. The bottles may be found seperately or with a metal sleeve fitted over the neck of the bottles and a ball about 1 in. diameter attached to a short length of canvas.

Source: Objects dropped from the the air. 1944.

It would seem the Incendiary socks were device "D" and can of Incendiary jelly, device "E".
The bottles do look like No.76 SIP grenades.

Quatermass

Fantastic write up Q...simple but effective as long as the winds are blowing the right way,,,i had heard of the japanese ballons but didnt realise we used such a simple weapon

Theres an article on Operation Outward in this months (June 08) 'Britain at war magazine'.

It includes some nice photoghaps of the ballons being launched at Landguard fort.

Quatermass.

Hi Q, By looking at their website, I believe that this issue also has an article on the Smith Gun ? if you already have it, does it have any good photos or drawings of the ammunition ? Tony.

Hello Tony, there are two sectioned lined drawings from the handbook showing the 8lb H.E. and practice bombs and cartridge.

Theres also a photograph of a relic practice bomb.

Its a very good 6 page article, probably the best write up on the gun i've seen in print.

Its really a very good magazine, a much better read than the Armourer!

Quatermass.

Thanks for that Q, I may have to get a subscription, I get the Armourer, but there is not much ordnance related in it these days. I got a copy of the first one with the article about the Northover Projector in it from a fellow member, that was very good. Maybe i will get the one about the Spigot mortar and Smith Gun before I subscribe. Tony.

more pictures..

hello,
Just THIS 2 pictures, I hope they 'll help you a littel.. best regards..

Attachments

• SIP 76.jpg
    SIP 76.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 185
  • SIP 76 1.jpg
    SIP 76 1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 163

Hello! Here still a few pictures over English breakdown balloon!!!!

Attachments

• AAD-Bombe Einzelheiten.jpg
    AAD-Bombe Einzelheiten.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Blechbehlter fr Flssigkeitsballast.jpg
    Blechbehlter fr Flssigkeitsballast.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Brandsack fr Strballons.jpg
    Brandsack fr Strballons.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Flugblattballon.jpg
    Flugblattballon.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Freiballons mit Strdrhten.jpg
    Freiballons mit Strdrhten.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 108
I found some fantastic pics of this device on the net.
I will put the link in other thread.

Attachments

• 44796-hi.jpg
    44796-hi.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 44797-hi.jpg
    44797-hi.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 44798-med.jpg
    44798-med.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 44799-med.jpg
    44799-med.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 118
Origenal BD documents.

I found some intresting RAF Bomb Disposal documents regarding these balloon devices. There wher trhee such devices; 1 Trailing wire ballon device, these contained no explosives, 2 Incendiary balloon device, these contained these contained 8 incendiary bottles SIP, 3 Incendiary balloon device with a incendiary sock.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 87
  • new-3.jpg
    new-3.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 135
  • new-2.jpg
    new-2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 83
  • new-1.jpg
    new-1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 84
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 95
Further more there was an incendiary device E, these had a thin sheet metal container filled with 1 gallob inflammable jelly with a type of fuze similar to the No 845 handgrenade fuze.

Attachments

• Device E.jpg
    Device E.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Device E 1.jpg
    Device E 1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Device E 2.jpg
    Device E 2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 109
This project was claimed by the Admiralty to have been the most succesfull of the free balloon operations. Fortunately the prevailing winds were toward Germany not toward us. The damage done was quite incredible plus it meant they had to tie up resources to shoot them down and put out the fires caused by the device.

Using Balloons in WWI to Drop Incendiary Bombs
In May and August 1918 the idea was put forward to destroy the German harvests by using balloons filled with coal gas to drop incendiary devices onto German crop fields and destroying them by fire.
One obvious issue was the risk of the balloon hitting a jet stream of air flowing away from Germany and blowing them back to allied lines. On 6th August 1918 the Aircraft Production, Technical Department wrote to Colonel Donald Hudson of the Independent Force, R.A.F., to say that this question had come up before and they felt that up to a 50 lb bomb could be sent using an 18 foot diameter balloon. The release question could be done with either a clockwork or slow burning fuse. However they did point out that the whole question could be argued at great length and it was a question of the fact that such devices were "to or not to be!!".
They enclosed a copy of a paper sent to Winston Churchill at the Ministry of Munitions about crop destruction by balloons.
This showed that this was possible on only a few days a year because of the prevailing winds. In addition they felt there were issues about the need to have numerous stations for release of the balloons and getting a supply of coal gas.
They pointed out that the weight of bomb delivery by an 18 foot diameter balloon could be increased 70 times by one Handley-Page aeroplane and that a D.H.9. (Airco De Havilland), could deliver 15 times the weight. In addition these operated independent of wind direction and could chose the target with reasonable accuracy.
Meteorologically it was shown that only 120 days of westerly wind was normal over the last five years and these days often had rain the following day. So the prevailing wind had a very low incidence of westerly wind needed to get the balloons over Germany. Their was only a few days in June, July and August that might prove suitable.
It was shown that only 75 to 100 miles was needed to get the bombs into a area of 55% crop cultivation. With a wind speed of zero to 30 m.p.h from a westerly wind this would take some 7-10 hours to reach the target.
The balloons would need to be made invisible to enemy aircraft and so either had to travel at high altitude or by night. Due to the fact that the crops would be damp from dew overnight it was decided to use a height of 10,000 feet and the balloon needed to aloft for 10 hours. The balloon would need to be designed to have a rigging to carry one 8lb incendiary bomb and as many smaller incendiaries as the balloon could take at 50 feet below the balloon. The chance of hitting crops was thought to be no more than 1 in 3.
Their were 3 incendiary bombs available for this project in May 1918:
a) The Baby Incendiary Bomb of known type filled with thermit
b) A bomb devised by Munitions Inventions Department (M.I.D.) Laboratories at Imber Court, Experimental Ground, Thames Ditton, Surrey. This was made of combustible material

c) A paraffin jet bomb devised by Capt Huddlestone of the (M.I.D.)

These three types were described as:
a) was placed into containers on a wooden frame, The Gledhill Interlocking Bomb Gear. The containers were 9 inches by 25 inches and 7 inches by 25 inches. The principle was to drop them as a cluster
b) was designed to utilise the "rebound" principle and
c) was designed to use the paraffin jet to ignite the ears of corn with no rebound principle involved. Both b) and c) were of a streamlined shape as seen in the Baby Bomb to give satisfactory flight through the air.
Each balloon station would need 4 men would work for 6 hours and release 10 balloons in an hour. They would need some 30 stations and 120 men. On a day when the weather was ideal they could probably launch 1800 balloons. And as their were only five days that were likely to be ideal this limited the strike to 9,000 balloons only and that only 3,000 of these might hit crops. Each balloon was to cost 3 and 10 shillings each and if the gas costs were taken into account, the cost of 125 tons of bombs via 10,000 balloons was some 50,000.
This number could be sent more accurately by 12 H.P. bombers making 10 trips each.
One aeroplane could carry as much as 88 balloons.
Much debate took place but at the end of the day the project was abandoned and it is not certain that any bomber took incendiary bombs to Germany to attack corn crops.
I have never seen a version of the paraffin jet bomb.
Does anyone have a image of one, or of the Baby Incendiary??

Thanks for sharing, all. Amazing! Cheers, Y'all, Bruce.

Last edited:
Baby Incendiary

Peter,
As requested (Presume this is what you are after). This is the 6oz design, there was 5oz design and no doubt a few Marks of each.

BabyIncendiary.jpg

Last edited:
Hi ,

Just realised i had info on the baby bombs ,from a 1939 Air pub.
BI.1.jpgBI.2.jpgBI.3.jpgBI.4.jpg
And good to see what they actually look like.

cheers
Bob