What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd Japanese Grenade fuze

BMG50

Premium Member
Bought this a while back, same size as a normal grenade fuze for Type 91/97 and is threaded to fit the Grenade but has match fuze running through the centre. Rather than pull the pin on the others. This one is lit by hand or the top is struck against a match card? It still has remains of the match fuze burnt out which fell out when i got it, there is also the remnants of the foil cover that seals the expansion flash hole midway. I have another normal grenade fuse that is cork sealed rather than foil. This fuze is not referred in the manuals.
jap_gren_008.jpg

Most top caps (the thin brass cap you strike) are usual painted in purple ink, not sure why.

Noticed on your original post the fuze does not have a groove around it,like all the others shown in the pics that followed

The fuze to the right of my picture doesn't have a grove because it doesn't have a top cap or is set off by striking. This fuze is lit by hand or the top is rubbed against a striker card similar to how a thunder flash is lit i presume. It has no precussion cap but it still has the match fuze inside when i got it.