What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Artillery Sub Calibre device ? HELP !!

Mike P.

Have any of you ever seen one of these before ? A few have guessed that it's for use on Howitzers for Training but , I can't lock it in for sure.
Any ideas would be appreciated :)
Cal 14.5 X 51

Having trouble attaching the photos ..hope it works this time :blush:
Barrel1.jpg

Yes, it is the German 14.5 artillery trainer used by most NATO armies. There have been a couple of threads on this site about the ammo.

Regards
TonyE

The Round 14.5 mm Artillery Training was introduced into the Land Service for use with the Field Artillery Trainer 14.5 mm L1A1. It is of German design andmanufacture and is used for training gunners, fire direction personnel and forward observers; in addition it contributes to effective wire and radio communication training.The trainer fires a projectile which on impact functions with an audible report accompanied by a puff of smoke, that can be seen up to 1,000 m away in daylight and a flash visible for several kilometers in the dark. The advantage of the trainer is that a realistic method of training is provided which is economical. The maximum effective range of the projectile is 990 m. However, a Safety Trace of 1500 m is used
with this equipment.Although the rounds for this weapon fall within the Small Arms Ammunition size, the weapon itself resembles a field piece. The barrel may be trunnion mounted on an adjustable head to a tripod using its own elevation quadrant and dialsight (see Fig 1). Alternatively, adapters are available to enable the barrel to be
mounted on the Light Gun or FH 70. In these cases the gun laying equipment of the parent weapon is used. The bolt is similar in design to that of a single shot bolt action rifle.

14.jpg

Thanks Tony & Spotter . This was found (without the Bolt) in a Safe that had not been opened in years & years and , the Unit didn't have a clue what it was for. They want to put it on display in their HQ now. I'll print this out so they can see the thread. Too bad ...I'd love to have it in my collection but , that will never happen since it is still "In the System"
Thanks guys
--Mike