What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

german 88mm c/95 naval case

russell

looking for help with this one did germany have u boats in 1900 ? have a 88mm c/95 naval case dated 1900 ,or is it from a deck gun ? any info on this would help thanks

photo ?

deck_gun_russell_base_of_88_edit.jpg

Germany launched U-1, the first U-Boat (for Unterseeboot)in 1906. The submarine was 139 feet long, displaced 239 tons and had a range of 2,000 miles, a surface speed of 11 knots and a submerged speed of nine knots.
It was joined in 1908 by a twin U-2.

Quatermass.

Have same case here but dated I 1918, As far as I know with introducing the U-Boats they used this gun as the 8,8cm Utof L/30 (Utof means Unterseebots- und Torpedoboots-Flak = Submarine and Torpedo Boat Anti Aircraft Gun).
So right, early ones where produced for use in the deck guns but if they have been on stock they also might be used on U-Boat, especially your one has been reloaded one time, so a later use is very probable - of course not to proof where it was used exactly.

Does anyone have a shell and fuze for this nice item?
Will throw mine on egun in January apart from someone will offer me a nice WW1 shell with fuze...

Cheers
Nudelmannrichter

I found a 88 x 390 naval case this weekend, and I have a few questions:

- It's missing the primer, is only the C/12 used on these cases?
- How many different guns used this ammunition?

The neck was pretty much distorted when the shell was removed, anyone could provide some advice as how to fix this and make it look good?

And last but not least... has anyone a shell and fuse he would like to part with? I'll be happy to purchase one to complete this round.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0616.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0618.JPG
    IMG_0618.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0620.JPG
    IMG_0620.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0622.JPG
    IMG_0622.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0624.JPG
    IMG_0624.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 34
To restore the neck. You have to find a hard round piece of wood, exact diameter of the inner neck, plus 0,5 mm, with a tapered front, lenght about 75 cm, knock the wood in the case, fix it with the protuting part to p.e. a work bench (not the kitchen table, trouble will be there) and start hammering and pressing the brass back tot the diameter, believe me, it will take time. It helps when you anneal the brass before starting. Also, i made two wooden clamps, inner diameter=outer diameter of the stright part of the neck. With the inner piece installed, you can start pressing with these clamps towards the mouth of the case. I used two piece of threaded steel, M12 and used a heavy wrench to tighten the clamps together arround the neck. Together with hammering with a "dead-blow hammer"do not know if this term is ok, and lot of time. after that, sanding back the outside, polishing it and you have a restored neck. Yours looks a bit disformed, however, possible to fix.

Right now i'm trying to find a method to remove the dents in the neck, or in the lower part. Hard time to find out how to start. Today i tried to solder the mouth airtight, by use of a less diameter shell inserted up side down in the shell, soldering the rim to the neck. Then installed and soldered a receptacle for the high pressure cleaner and filled the case with water and started the cleaner. Worked out for shallow dents, not for the more heavy dents, so back to the drawing board.

Projectiles, there are a few, 8,8 spgr L3/8, 8,8 sprg L2,8, i think 8,8 sprg L3,7 and there is a light shell for the WW1 8,8.
although more rare than hen's teeth, they show up.

Thank you Thekees, I will try your method, but need to make that piece of wood first. And will keep looking for a projo but may be one of the members will help...

I forgot to ask, this case was reloaded in 1918 but what means the number (?) III next to the reloading mark?

Attachments

• IMG_0622.JPG
    IMG_0622.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited: