What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

missile parts

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Since original posting this has been positively identified as part of a Swingfire missile

came across this piece of a missile on a range clearance task the other week,it appears to be a directional venturi,just wondered if anyone could tell what type of missile its the remains of just by this part
This was found on the surface and is from a modern piece....thanks for looking and any additional info/pictures welcome....spotter
missDSC00001.jpg

It would be a pure guess-but could they be from a "Swingfire" Anti Tank Guided missile as that had one steerable venturi at the rear much the same as your pictures show and the size would be about right also !

Hello Chris thanks for that your guess was correct,i did a little bit of file rustling thanks to your suggestion and i can now positively id it as part of Swingfire ...thank you spotter

screenshotswingfire3.jpg

Nice info Spotter.:)

The Army has lots of money overthere it's nice of them to put a Gerber with it every time.

Cheers Mad :laugh:

i wish they did give us gerbs ,mine was a xmas present from bolo ,,and comes in usefull especially as i never remember to carry a ruler or tape measure at work for when im photographing stuff

The long silvery bit with the rusty circlip near the end is the actuator gas generator. Before the missile was fired this would have contained a chunk of solid propellant and was ignited as part of the pre-launch sequence. It was an integral part of getting the missile to fly where the operator wanted it to go.