What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baton Rounds

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi Has anybody got any info on the batton rounds like how many different kinds and any pics of them please, i picked this one up today can anybody tell me anything about it.
Thanks
Andy
Batton_round.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re:Batton Rounds

The L21A1 Baton is a moulding of dark brown PU. It weighs 98 g, is 89 mm long overall and has a maximum diameter of 37.25 mm. The base of the Baton is painted white to assist the firer in observing the trajectory of the Baton.The Baton is secured in the Cartridge Case by coning the rim of the Cartridge Case onto the Centring Band of the Baton,

2 photos show mine,,the cutaway drawings show some varients,,there are more models than what i am posting here...

DSC00009bat.jpg

Thanks Spotter and Smirky for the info i shouldn't want to get hit by one. :)
Andy

I have noticed that World Wide arms are selling these they have another one there a 37mm L60A1 selling for a fiver dose anybody know if its worth it? :) Andy

I think a fiver is a decent fair price for one of these andy if its the complete round..

A lot of these were fired in the troubles of Northern Ireland in the 80,s rumour has it that afterwoods the locals would pick up both the heads and the bases , and sell them to the japanese for !1.50 , who would insert a battery in them , and made sure they were telescopic and sell them at 7.50 each in Ann summers shops .
Im also a huge fan of Blaster Bates
Sorry fpor lowering the standards chaps !
Steve

My one definately came from NI ,,i picked it up myself on a job over there

Hi Andy,

Quite a few to my Knowledge. I must have seven or eight different ones in my collection, I will have to find them and put some pics up. In the meantime, this is one of mine, the latest L60A1 soft nose baton round. Tony.

MVC_359S.jpg

Rumour also has it that the first design of "Rubber "Bullet" was susceptible to having a 1 or 2 pence piece inserted into a cut made in the nose of the Bullet so as to make it a more effective "Kinetic" projectile-so whilst the "Rubber Bullet" might stop on contact with a person the 1 or 2 pence piece would not !
I have seen a few of the original 1.5" in Baton rounds thus modified presumably by the person firing it !:eek:hmy:

So the next modification was a "P.V.C." slug ! Not possible to cut or insert anything without special tools etc.

Must apologise for poor picture (early days of my Digital photography !)
1-9c02baf80f88845657486a7c0e88bd6d.JPG

Hi its not a rumour i know of several instances of that happening , it had the desired results they recon .
It is or was possible with later rounds too i understand .
The rounds were manufactured at a factory called flow form , which is in Welshpool Powis mid wales
Steve