What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 pounder naval drill round.

tigbrand

Premium Member
Hi i recently bought one of these on Spec auctions. It was listed as brass shell case having wooden bullet. Actually a 3pdr drill made by RL in 1903!The condition is not perfect but i have never seen another for sale or in a collection.Does any body else have one in gc they can take some pics of?? I cannot post pics at the mo,sorry my pc is u/s.Cheers Tig.

cheers!

Cheers Gordon,I will endeavor to take some pics for the weekend,its a most unusual round.cheers Tony.

3pr pics

Pics attatched of 3 pdr naval drill,any info appreciated please.Tig.

Hens Teeth !

I think you may have got some "Hens Teeth" there Tig, never seen one until now, very nice item indeed !

The way the projectile has been varnished unevenly and leaving some on the case neck looks suspect. Also the fact that the screw holding it in place appears to have been crudely filed flush with the neck makes me think it is someone's homemade effort at a replica projectile. All the large calibre drill rounds I have seen appear to be more durable.

Pics attatched of 3 pdr naval drill,any info appreciated please.Tig.

Hello tigbrand,
These are the only genuine wooden rounds I've seen. They were designed for training purposes. The wooden projectile is destroyed by the rifling of the bren gun, but allows enough time for the gas operated action to cycle so the weapon can be (safely?) used in full auto mode.
Regards,
navyman.

Attachments

• bk b 3.jpg
    bk b 3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 33
Hi Tig, Theres a line drawing of a Vickers 3 PR drill/dummy round in one of the early issues of the armourer.

The pictured round has a milled rim, four holes drilled through the case sides and a further three in the base, a dummy primer (like yours) and a hardwood projectile that runs the full length of the case, secured at the neck with screws.

It certainly has some similarities to your round.

I take my old comment back, if there is a drawing of one like it, this one probably has someone's own coat of varnish added at some time.

Sportin' WOOD

The wood projectile looks good to me, too perfect for a home-made as mentioned above may have been varnished by a previous owner. The symetrics are just too good for a fake. My opinion for what it's worth is I think projectile is original. I'd proudly display it in my collection if it were mine. Dano

The drawing from the Armourer.

BOCN 3PRdrill.jpg

25 Pr drill with similar marks on the primer as seen on the base of tigbrands case

BOCN25PRdrill.jpg

Now I know it definitely isn't someone's wood projectile job, sorry for that suggestion.

What causes the scratch marks on the bases?

Cycling !

Now I know it definitely isn't someone's wood projectile job, sorry for that suggestion.

What causes the scratch marks on the bases?

The "Scratch" marks you refer to Falcon are made by the round having been "cycled" through the weapon many times and the firing pin engaging on the case prior to being struck, hence the radial appearance of those scratches.

thanks

Cheers for all the input guys,the wood projectile is original,just battered and badly repainted,when ive time i will strip the varnish,anneal the case where there are some stress cracks and revarnish in a more appropriate finish.I thought with so few places to buy ordnance this would have sold before i got there. There are still bargains to be had it seems! I wonder how many Vickers 3 pdr naval drill rounds are in existance Q?:tinysmile_fatgrin_t.Thanks again Tig.

The "Scratch" marks you refer to Falcon are made by the round having been "cycled" through the weapon many times and the firing pin engaging on the case prior to being struck, hence the radial appearance of those scratches.

I thought of that but have never seen single ones of those marks on any of my fired British cases.

1 shot 1 scratch

I thought of that but have never seen single ones of those marks on any of my fired British cases.

Hi Falcon, bear in mind the fired british cases will have only one "scratch" on it as that will be for one firing only, hope that makes sense ?
Or 1 shot = 1 scratch as the firing pin will only contact the case base/Primer on that one occassion.

3 pounds of bliss

I never even knew that drill artillery shells could have a wooden projectile (of course I knew about small caliber bullets). They are very impressive as is this shell. I've learned so much here, but still have a lot to learn. Hope you all can bear with whilst i'm in learning stage. Heck, there are countless items that I have seen on BOCN, that I had never seen before. Very nice shell. I think i'll be needin' one sooner or later. Aah, the wonderful world of ordnance, never know what'll be around the next corner so to speak. Please keep the pictures and information coming. Appreciate it..Dano

Hi Falcon, bear in mind the fired british cases will have only one "scratch" on it as that will be for one firing only, hope that makes sense ?
Or 1 shot = 1 scratch as the firing pin will only contact the case base/Primer on that one occassion.

I realised this, so had a look at my cases for single lines scored across the case heads.

drill

Nothing on 3pr drill but on 6pr I quote from the hand book;
The Cartridge, Quick-firing, 6pr., Dummy, Drill, Mark I., consists of a solid drawn brass case, similar to that for the service cartridge. The case contains a piece of wood which reaches to the bottom, the part projecting from the case being turned to the shape of the common shell, but without the driving band. the wood is fixed in the case by three brass screws. it goes on to describe the replacement primer and that the Mark II has a milled rim to facilitate handling at drill.
Nice 'find' Tigbrand, bit miffed I didnt get it, not that I collect drill stuff (but have a couple) but would look good with my 3prs.
2pr

Hi 2pounder, could you post some more information from your 6 PR (Hotchkiss?) handbook?
I never seen one so it would be great to see the information on the ammuntion.
Cheers.