What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S.mine, factory codes

BMG50

Premium Member
Any one out there know what factories made S-Mines usually have the 3 letter code stamped on the top plate. Ones i have seen are (always in lower case)bre, dah. Any others?

I have 3 examples of `S`-Mines.

Im afraid i cant make out the ones on the practice version,but the other two are `bre`?, and `brc` under the spyglass.

best

waff

Thanks waff, Do these bre and brc mines have the pre-war or war time top plate.

That i would not know!.:unsure:

Im sure ive posted pictures of them somewhere in this section?
best

waff

I will post some pictures later of the top plate differences.
Does any one have the new German factory code book, i just wonder If the code bre is there as i don't seem to see it listed in other listings.

MB has just listed them .they are in `other` section.As for my `bre`,it could be `brc` but the stamps are not so clear.

best
waff

Mine is defenatly stamped bre. The diferences in pre and wartime s-mines are in the following pics.

ei16difokij7.jpg

Note the differences between the plug holes on the later plates that are recessed to accept the rubber washers, there is also a small cut grove from the centre where the flash tube protrudes, not sure what this is for or why its there.

Next picture shows the base, inside the mine. The early one sealed with a lead cover held down by screws and the later wartime model sealed with a tin plate. I believe that the base ejection charge is about 3drams of black powder can anyone confirm the powder charge. This black powder charge, so i assume must have been very susceptible to moisture.

The locating grove in the top of the war time production model S. Mi. 35. was to allow for the bar to be attached that would allow 9 x Es. Mi.Z.40 Igniters, the bar gave the mine a larger foot print. the grove was just to stop in spinning on top of the mine. Sorry having problems with my scanner but will post the document when fixed.

Excellent pictures and write up chaps.B)

Im off to work now but i will take another peek at my collection when i get back.

best

waff

Its funny how you learn something new every day, i wondered what that grove was for. The S-Mine although a simple subject, there's quite a lot of info that needs researching, this make ordnance collecting more exciting. Here's some differences with det plugs. There is also a difference between the top plate nuts, early ones are just plai, later ones are recessed to acept a rubber washer and there's a slight shank just below the flats of the hexagon nut. I have also noticed that there is a number code next to the 3 letter code, whats this for, the date, month and year?
ei15difokzb8.jpg

Hello BMG50

thank you for your welcome. I know following signs from complete S.Mi.35:
dah 44, brj 44, avz 45, brb 42/b-practice and on single top plates bqu 43, bre 41 and BW 818 1940, all three with so called "pre-war" design. The latters
indicates that missing depressions around the plug holes are not a certain sign
of real pre-war manufaction.
I would like to add a photo from bre 41 but d'ont know how! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

all the best
sudelmuk
-collectors work is never done-

bre factory code is
Rhenania Stanz- u- Emaillierwerke A-G Schwelm/westf Norstr 21

It seems that s-mines with tins seals as mentioned in other posts marked 41 brb 79 have no shear screws just a plain bottom pot like the s-mine 44 and rely on the soldered tin seal to hold the mine in its pot and give resistance for the propellant charge to pop the mine out of the ground instead.

An interesting theory, BMG50. I also often wondered about this ominous seal.
There are no traces of this device, neither in all sources (H.Dv.220/4c. included) nor on any historial picture of mines, mine laying or demining. Exept
these few old drawings. I think: a mine, buried for several years with this seal
must have some irreversible traces on the cannister and top plate after removing the collar for discharging?! Is not any old miner or deminer anywhere out there to solve finally that mystery??

There is quite a lot of photos of these mines with these seals especialy used in North Africa, i will have to put up some pictures. Unfortuantly when these mines with seals are being dealt with to remove the explosive content, to remove the top plate the seals have to be removed in the process, they are pulled and ripped of as they are soldered on as it would be foolish to remove the seal with an explosive content with heat that would be required to melt solder.

Some pics of s-mines with tin seals and with the seal removed and soldered area.

Attachments

• pre_bilde_10574_nn1161176294_759.jpg
    pre_bilde_10574_nn1161176294_759.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Smine-diagram.JPG
    Smine-diagram.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 45
  • iwmsmine 004.jpg
    iwmsmine 004.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 57
  • iwmsmine 002.jpg
    iwmsmine 002.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 56
Does anyone know if there are factories in Germany still in existance today that once made S-mines during the war. I was wondering if they still have the documentation relating to their manufacture that may reveal production changes.