What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7.92mm step

smle2009

Hi, has any one noticed a step in the body of wartime 7.92mm about 5mm below the shoulder? No signs of damage caused by forcing it into something too narrow! best to look at pics,probably make more of it, if it is ment to be stepped, why?

Last edited:

Definitely should not be there. I think despite the lack of marks someone has tried to feed it into a smaller chamber.

Incidentally, it is a Luftwaffe round, as by 1944 pretty well all the Wermacht SAA was steel cased.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
I wonder if, after firing someone has re-sized the cartridge using the incorrect die? I have seen 3006 blank that has been resized to 7.92 creating a similar effect.
Hangarman

8mm

Hi Hangerman,
This thought crossed my mind late last night,so I eased out the bullet and found that it was a solid bronze 8mm Lebel bullet of 1916 vintage,so that idea went out the window! with a step like this it would have to of been re-sized smaller than the original calibre,I am still convinced that it has not been forced into something smaller
Regards Tony

things could be worse. this is a 30-06 with a slight deformation.
nobody seems to know how this happent, but some swearing was involved,
I am quite sure.

regards werner

Attachments

• DSCF0776.jpg
    DSCF0776.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0777.jpg
    DSCF0777.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 37
Hi RNLMC,
Seen this a lot from our wonderful rifle they issue to our troops,the SA80!!! where a case fails to extract & another attempts to feed,one of many problems with this horrid weopon
Tony

And to prove a point.....

things could be worse. this is a 30-06 with a slight deformation.
nobody seems to know how this happent, but some swearing was involved,
I am quite sure.

regards werner

This happened this morning....... lots of swearing was involved!!!!

Regards Tony

Last edited:
Hi TonyE,
Ummm what was I trying to do? I was trying not to laught at the irate squadie that this happened to! & he was just trying use his SA80!( I have a part time job out on S.P.T.A a couple of morning a week) he gladly donated the blank to me,but I am not going to put it where he sugested!!!
Which brings me to something else I wanted to ask you,have you heard any thing on the grape vine about the army trying out new brands of ammo over the last couple of years? this blank is by SF(french).A lot of ammo from other manufactuers is turning up instead of RG,can give details if you are intrested,
Also did you get my e-mail regarding the cast .45" drill round
Cheers Tony

British 5.56

Sorry, I have been a bit busy with work - very boring! I have answered your mail separately.

We have been buying in 5.56 from several sources lately, including Santa Barbara in Spain and RUAG in Switzerland. If that was a French blank it must be a couple of years old at least as there is no ammo made in France any more. A few years ago I was shooting the FAMAS with some French Marine Infantry and they were issued RG ammo.

Even the NRA at Bisley are now issuing RUAG traget ammo instead of RG.

Cheers
TonyE

Hi TonyE,
Do you know the head stamp for the Spanish rounds as the ammo that is being used more & more at present in my neck of the woods is headstamped T,both ball & blank have a black annulus, the other 5.56mm in use is from FNB(Belgium) & CBC(Brazil) for 7.62mm,I have not yet found out were the ammo marked T comes from, they also come with a horrid plastic stripper clip!

Cheers Tony

Last edited:
SMLE; I have it on reasonable authority ( my local RFD) that our forces are so low on ammo that everywhere in europe that makes NATO cal ammo is being contracted by various governments to produce only for them. For this reason I cannot get any 7.62/.308 or 5.56/.223 unless I want to pay silly prices!!
Thanks to the loss of our ministry run Ordnance factories etc we now rely on civvy firms. this may account for the unusual & varied headstamps of the stuff being issued.
I also have it from still serving mates of mine that if a full assault was launched we may have severe re-supply issues!!
I think the days of `war stock` are long gone & it is now more`hand to mouth`.
I have seen the damage before where a round tries to chamber when previous spent one has not been ejected/extracted.

Hi Hicky,
Thanks for the info,did'nt know about the loss of our ordnance factories,quiet a shock,even Radway Green?
Should of seen this coming, see a lot of civvy hire landrovers ect being used by the army on the plain now!
Lets hope that this country dos'nt have to defend it self
(gobsmacked!)

Hello Smle2009,
the 5,56 with T headstamp should be Swiss made T - for Thun - so its a RUAG product.
Would like to see a pic of the plastic stripper clip you mentioned.
Erik

SMLE
Further to your last comment
RG is part of BAE Systems I think they have only 3 or 4 munitions factories left in the UK.They have major contracts for the UK MOD to supply lrge & small cal ammo but of course asthey are private & global they will go to who pays the most 1st.
As far as I know there are no ministry run munitions factories left in the UK.
There used to be one near Plymouth outside Plympton (for the life of me I cannot remeber the name). I used to cycle there as a lad & try to get the scrapped bullets & cases before they went for recycling!!
Ah Plymouth - a metal detectors heaven!!!

Hi Hicky,
here is photo of plastic stripper clips,the markings are(not very clear in photo)^PTB-GF KTI 1 (1to10),let me know if you want any,have hundreds!
tONY

Last edited:
Hi MT-LB,
sorry about that mate,my last message was intended for you,rushing around getting ready for work! any how let me know if you want any nasty plastic clips
Regards Tony

Hi Hicky1300,
Send me a PM with delivery address, I do not want anything for them, they did,nt cost me anything
Cheers Tony