Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Thread types on No. 199 Fuze

Does anyone know the specifications of the thread that is used to screw the aluminium cone onto the top of a No. 199 fuze, and also the thread that is used to screw that base plug into that same fuze? I would like to know if a tap and die for each of those threads could be found.

Also, was there any established standards for threads used on shell case primers, fuzes etc?

Thanks in adavnce for any info.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 643 Posts
    Falcon,

Prior to the 1960s it was Whitworth form. The actual threads used appear to be bespoke and not follow any of the Whitworth thread form conventions i.e. British Standard Whitworth, British Standard Brass/cycle, BSF etc.

Some of the threads on primers have diameters that defy logic.

A strange mix I came across is the fuze plug on the Red Queen which is 20mm 20 TPI Whitworth form.

Regards

Tim.G.

Images
    Thanks

Exclamation Metric/Imperial-Imperial/Metric ?

I agree with TimG as the whole thread system is based on ?
    Some threads are "Whitworth" form with imperial dimensions and some seem to be a mixture of metric and imperial in no particular order.

The only thing you can do is purchase a thread gauge for both met/Imp threads and use a vernier caliper to determine the diameter used and treat each thread as a "one off" that way you will have a good deal of success in reproducing the threads.

Best of luck Falcon.

Thanks
    Today I measured the thread that holds the cone on. It has an OD of .842", and uses a Whitworth thread form with 18 TPI. The depth of the thread is .052". I am going to have a go at screw cutting this thread tomorrow.

I will also need to make a new base plug for the fuze. The thread that uses has an OD of 1.583", and uses a Whitworth thread form with 16 TPI. Depth of thread is .060".

As the lathe is in metric (with settings to cut imperial threads), I have had to work out that the depth of the threads in metric. The thread that holds the cone on is 1.32mm. As it is an internal thread, the hole will have to be bored to 20mm. The depth of the base plug thread is 1.52mm, and the OD will have to be turned to 40.2mm

Does anyone have the overall length, maximim diamter and taper angle for the cone? My example is so corroded that measurements will be unreliable.

Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    Does anyone know the specifications of the thread that is used to screw the aluminium cone onto the top of a No. 199 fuze, and also the thread that is used to screw that base plug into that same fuze? I would like to know if a tap and die for each of those threads could be found.

Also, was there any established standards for threads used on shell case primers, fuzes etc?

Thanks in adavnce for any info.
    Hi Falcon
    Good luck with the threading,as with german threads up to a certain size
    i can get away with standard taps and die sets,but after that anything larger although in metric form i have to play around with the screw cutter
    with pitch tpi and depth until it suddenly comes together.

Did the british use BSP on any of there fuses or was it just whitworth
    or possibley BSF

Best Satan

Thanks
    None of the threads on fuzes I have measured match any thread specifications that I am aware of. They all seem to use the Whitworth thread form, but with unusual ODs and thread depths.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,526 Times in 649 Posts
    What you guys are talking about here has gone way over my head but it is really good to know that there are at least 4 people left in the UK who know about engineering.
    Keep it up!
    Dave.

Images
    Thanks

Unhappy Knowledge

The knowledge is still in the country but the good old days of "Machine shops" are long since gone !

There are quite litterally hundreds of dfferent threads made by different countries for different purposes and ammo manufacturers were not all that good at "standardisation" even in this country.

Premium Member
    Thanks

199 cone

Good luck screw cutting, when you anounce completion of the cone you're sure to get requests for more repairs and replacement parts, theres lots of people think engineers do it for fun and enjoy the challenge. sorry I've not got a cone to measure but have you tried scaling it off a good illustration? should not be far out especialy if you,ve a couple of dwgs to go on.

Thanks
    I haven't got any drawings or pictures of a good cone. The only measurements I would need are the height and width of the cone, as well as the taper angle. Does anyone have a No. 199 fuze they could measure this off?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast