What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German grenades of The Great War

m1915 zinc-alloy friction igniter

Hi Navyman, I hope this helps as I don't fully understasnd it myself. That is the German m1915 Zinc alloy friction igniter that had either a 5sec or 8sec delay. there is a friction mixture in top area of igniter that creates the friction or heat to light the igniters slow burning fuze powder with a flash hole at bottom to ignite explosive. I have 2 such igniters and both have two dimples each on opposite sides that looks like they hold igniter cap in place. Best I can do...Dano P.S. That is one hell of a nice repro pannier and dugup does have alot of quality repro stuff...................................

Attachments

• Picture 043.jpg
    Picture 043.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thanks Dano,
Were the fuzes used in Egg grenades and Kugel's similar. I think I've managed to join your grenade and ordnance club so will look through there as well?
Cheers,
navyman.

igniters

Yes navyman, the Eggs and Kugels both used all the igniters pictured below...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 16
Dear Dano

Good project i think !!

you can use my pics from members collection too for your reference !!!

best regards David

Hi.
The fuze is very simple. the wire loop when pulled comes out of the hole in the tin plate cap. The cap stays on the alloy fuze.:tinysmile_shy_t:
The rough ends of the wire loop are imbedded in a match head composition which ignites as the wire is pulled free flashing through to the delay pellet.