What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnetic Influence Bomb Fuze. ww2 German

waffenamt

Now this is a funny one. After an email sesh with a geezer i know on the continent,he says he will bring 4 fuzes to look at.
I picked this up out of the box and thought 'Hmmm,its a 57?,got a couple but this is nicely sectioned at the bottom".
Only turns out to be a nice Magnetic fuze! :tinysmile_shy_t: Lucky boy!
I got confused with the yellow top,the referance to the stamps and the 'missing' bottom collar.
It did have a transport cap on it so i presumed it would have the usual one pin as per type 57.
The cap fell off and all was revealed...

W

Attachments

• S7004656.jpg
    S7004656.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 155
  • S7004657.jpg
    S7004657.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 131
  • S7004658.jpg
    S7004658.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 118
  • S7004659.jpg
    S7004659.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 121
I see that waff inspector number '56' has turned up again?
must have been a busy lad that one!

W

Now this is a funny one. After an email sesh with a geezer i know on the continent,he says he will bring 4 fuzes to look at.
I picked this up out of the box and thought 'Hmmm,its a 57?,got a couple but this is nicely sectioned at the bottom".
Only turns out to be a nice Magnetic fuze! :tinysmile_shy_t: Lucky boy!
I got confused with the yellow top,the referance to the stamps and the 'missing' bottom collar.
It did have a transport cap on it so i presumed it would have the usual one pin as per type 57.
The cap fell off and all was revealed...

W

A lovely example there matey and a very different fuse altogether:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Best phil

A lovely example there matey and a very different fuse altogether:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Best phil

I almost didnt buy the damned thing until the cap fell off to reveal the 2 pins then i thought 'aye.aye!,whats all this then?' :xd:

W

Gents,Im unable to find much reference to this fuze or its application in my books?
Anyone shed any light please for me? :)

W

This fuze is for arming the main fuze or to blown it up if it hits something hard.

There is not much on this fuze waffie

This fuze is for arming the main fuze or to blown it up if it hits something hard.

There is not much on this fuze waffie

Thanks MB,
'preciate your effort anyway :)
It seems a rare bird if not much info? Any pics of the actual weapon that it went in please?

cheers

W

Hi Paul They were used in the early G mines I have a copy of a report from HMS Vernon about this fuze , including a circuit diagramme i copied from the records .The designation for this fuze is 157/3
later G mines had Vzz(34) fuzes

Last edited by a moderator:
The 157/3 and the 56 IB 06 is used in the GG type mine (BM 1000)
And the VzZ 34 A* and the LM Zus Z 34 B used in the GC and GD mines (LMB C and D)

Oh happy days MB and Fuzeman!! I had forgot i had that 34A as a mine fuze. :)
Its time i split all my fuzes up and displayed them in correct categories.
Thanks again Gents for finding me the info.
btw

Any chance of any extracts from that report please F?

W

Last edited:
A lot of UXB BM1000 bombs were defuzed but their is no mention of a (56) fuze they were all (34) A the early Rheinmetall fuze AA157?3 was i believe too costly to manufacture when a simpliyfied fuze the (34) became available.Having actually met an officer who defuzed several he could only recall a (34) fuzes being fitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Steve,
Wow,this one has to be quite uncommon then? Honest,i had never heard of one before?
Not bad for 30 then! :)

W

Hi Steve,

I can not see how the BM or GG can work then because the 157/3 or 56 fuze arms the main fuze.
I think your BD member is talking about the GC or GD mine they only use the the 34 fuze because the 34 fuze is for distroying the bomb when it falls on land or not on the right dept. or if they try to lift it out of the water.
I have been looking at my Navy BD books and the OP 1673A thats what i found out.

1 Photo GG Mine
2 Photo GC Mine
3 Photo GD Mine

Attachments

• Dain_G-Mine.jpg
    Dain_G-Mine.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 62
  • GC mijn.JPG
    GC mijn.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Scannen0001.jpg
    Scannen0001.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 68
Hi Jack my list of fuzes of 1944 vintage lists all the known fuzes used up to that time and their is no mention of a (56) fuze amongst them , also the Spreng schule at Dresden have no details on this fuze , i know a few examples were made, but i believe this was never used operationally, will carry on checking