What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnetic Influence Bomb Fuze. ww2 German

Hi Paul
This is the one i was offered at Beltring many years ago , in the end Dave Sampson bought it , it was in too poorer a condition for my collection, there is only scant records of this fuze, my great interest in this fuze is that i have a clock winding key clearly marked(56) but is graduated for the (17) clock 0 to 72 hours nobody has found out about this fuze .its an open file for me

Attachments

• 56 fuze 001.jpg
    56 fuze 001.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 59
  • 56 fuze 002.jpg
    56 fuze 002.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh,look how similar it is to that 157/3. You should have bought it in all honesty i think for its rareity?. Sometimes condition does not bother me as its the 'what it is' factor that decides it for me.
cheers for the pics.

W

Hi Paul Your 157/3 is in good condition compared to the (56) the other side of the fuze had a large dent and holed, through corrosion . I have my standards that i wont drop , my Maxim is There,s going to be another offered soon. i would have paid a lot more than the 30 for that fuze

So to make it al a little easyer there is also a 90 fuze for the GG mine :tinysmile_shy_t:
And it looks like Mr Fuze has the fuzes in his collection a 56 and 90 and made data sheets of them.
The 56 fuze you find in OP 1673A and the Frence EOD books the 90 fuze only in the Frence book.
Maby the fuzes where not found in the UK but they are found by the looks in France.

Attachments

• Znder 363.jpg
    Znder 363.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Znder 407.jpg
    Znder 407.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 90
Hi Jack
I have a page from the French EOD manual that also lists the (90) fuze , as having been used , but again no records of the allies having found any, which could account for it unlike the (57) which was recovered from a bomb dump but never used operationally over here , that fuze is listed

Hi Jack
Yes they are but i cannnot account for any other reason why either Britain or America do not have listed either of those fuzes, i hope to publish the list at a later date on all the known fuzes dated 1945 by which at that time all examples known to the Americans would have been catalouged and given to the allies.this also included Japanese bombs and fuzes .

Last edited by a moderator:
The 90 fuze is from AA 1940 so maby they didn't us it on the UK but only in the early days of the war like the invasion of France and Belgium and The Netherlands.
And thats why they only where found in France after the war.

The 56 fuze is listed in the OP 1673A From the US and thats from 1946.

Not al of the German ammo whas used on the UK and some times ammo whas not used any more because it whas obsolete and repleased by a beter one.

Attachments

• Seite-88.jpg
    Seite-88.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Seite-89.jpg
    Seite-89.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 29
Hi Jack
Thats very true , the brass no (5) although obsolete before the war was found in a bomb as late as 1943 not sure which country it was though , that came from an inteligence bulletine

The way i see it is that you use whatever you can grab hold off when in a losing war situation therefore explaining mystery fuzes up all over the show!

A good question is that how did anyone know if these magno fuzes(or any other disputed type) were used if the weapon exploded on this country??

W

He Waff, i got the one that i have from Finland, found between a lot of other bombfuzes, somewere in the North, all dated very early, Jack has done a great Job in getting all the info about this fuze and bombs, AA++ for MAD, Ben

He Waff, i got the one that i have from Finland, found between a lot of other bombfuzes, somewere in the North, all dated very early, Jack has done a great Job in getting all the info about this fuze and bombs, AA++ for MAD, Ben

Agreed Squire. :)

I tend to lean towards the 'man on the job' rather than relying on manuals as im told that the manuals can be very misleading?
Much appreciated anyway to all members input. :)

W

Here a German Navy doc from the 70's.

Attachments

• Seite0014.jpg
    Seite0014.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 53
  • Seite0029.jpg
    Seite0029.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 37
Thats a good idea paul , thats the reason why im involved in Bomb disposal history i get to meet a lot of the wartime officers and men , sadly as i found tonight most are into their 90,s and are too frail to receive visitors now, the top expert in SD2 is one of them. And poor old John Hudson who defuzed the first in situ (50)B y fuze died 18 months ago

Manuals can be misleading i agree , a lot of information wasnt checked , but was accepted as accurate. Janes books are very bad at getting it wrong .

Thats a good idea paul , thats the reason why im involved in Bomb disposal history i get to meet a lot of the wartime officers and men , sadly as i found tonight most are into their 90,s and are too frail to receive visitors now, the top expert in SD2 is one of them. And poor old John Hudson who defuzed the first in situ (50)B y fuze died 18 months ago
Sadly true that these pioneer men in the field in 1940 are disapearing at
an alarming rate,IE Alan porter late of 18 coy

Although Bomb disposal sections were vastley reduced at the end of hostilities surely there must be a good few just post war BD men around
that would have delt with the same menacing bomb fuses as did there
predecessors.

Best phil

Hi Phil
Yes Alan porter was a great guy he and his wife Jean (Now both passed away) were great company i had trhe honour of spending a week on Guernsey with about 30 vets and their wives , the stories i heard to fill ia lifetime .