Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MG-42 Blanks

Images
    Thanks

MG-42 Blanks

Gents

I recently got this MG-42 belt whit wood prop in the mail. I had tried to search the web for information for this type of amo, but havenít succeeded. I have been told that it was used for training or blanks. I havenít seen this type of amo onto the marked before and do not know much about it. Can any pleas enlighten me onto this subject?

Cheers
    Freaky
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Real nice!!

Yes,they are training blanks as far as im aware?
    Havent got the books to hand as its late and i should be in bedski now,work tomorrow.

I once did hear a tale that the germans stopped using these due to accidents/injuries sustained by the projectiles?

W

Images
    Thanks
    The German WW2 era 7.9 x 57 Blank was known as the Platzpatrone 33. The wood projectiles were normally given a coat of red (I have also seen purple) paint.
    I cannot detect any traces of paint/colouring on yours. I have had examples with the natural coloured wood projectiles previously and was told that they were Dutch reloads (?).

Generally speaking the original German Platzpatrone 33's additionally had a knurled ring around the case (known as a Sortie ring) this indicated that the case was a reload (this was normal for Blanks), although this was generally limited to brass or copper wash steel cases.

Hope this helps....

Peter.

PS; If you would like to see some pics of the above, please let me know.

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Thanks

Pp.33

I agree with Peter that these are probably not German, although they have the Sortie ring for reloads. I cannot recall seeing plain wood German Platzpatrone 33 before.

If theye are foreign to Germany, one other possibility is Danish, who reloaded lots of British Besa and German cases as blanks and drill rounds.

Regards
    TonyE

Images
    Thanks
    I think you could be right with Danish Tony. Until you mentioned it, I hadn't seen the Sortie ring. They are certainly of the German design, you will note the shoulder on the projectile at the case mouth (this helped keep integrity of the cartridge during any rough or forced feeding).

Images
    Thanks
    Thank you every one for useful information. I would use a long time to figure out this by my self. Thanks a gain every one.

Cheers
    Freaky

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyE View Post
    I agree with Peter that these are probably not German, although they have the Sortie ring for reloads. I cannot recall seeing plain wood German Platzpatrone 33 before.

If theye are foreign to Germany, one other possibility is Danish, who reloaded lots of British Besa and German cases as blanks and drill rounds.

Regards
    TonyE
    Nice photos...I would say they where at some stage certainly German, reloaded as PLATZ 33, but I was under the impression that the Danish reloads had a circle stamped on the headstamp. There are currently a load of British BESA 7.92mm showing this 'circle' stamp on SA at the moment. IAA have a thread on their website also

http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7044

Also I had a quick look at headstamp P IXm1 145 39 on Willem van Eijk & Karl Menzel website and it is listed as Platz 33
    Last edited by archmoco; 9th July 2010 at 09:34 AM.

Thanks
    I think your rounds are original Platzpatrone 33 Sorte 1.
    Probably they came out of the water. Depending witch manufacturer made the bullet, the color disappears.

The picture shows a case found a few years ago.

Rgds,
    Dutch

Thanks

Some Platz 33 Rounds

I've attached a couple of images from my collection, there are 2 rings on each of the cases, sorry about the quality i've had to scan rather than photograph.
    Last edited by archmoco; 14th July 2010 at 10:34 PM.

Thanks

Wooden projectiles.

Hello Freaky,
    I doubt if this is of much help, but just for information these are some wooden tipped blanks which are for training purposes with the Bren Gun. The wooden projectiles are designed, as far as I know, to dis-integrate in the rifling but still allow enough time for the gas operated action to function allowing full auto for training. Personally I would prefer not to be in front of them, I've heard stories of accidents when using them, but have no positive information about this. If anyone has, I'd be very interested to hear about it?
    Cheers,
    navyman.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast