What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible shell found?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must admit I was very surprised as well. The guy sounded very indecisive to be honest. He said it definitely wasn't ordinance due to the grove on the brass end shown on my photo. There was also no coordination with the police, who phoned me back later to ask what was going on!!!

The way the whole issue was handled doesn't exactly inspire you with confidence?!!

The brass object with the markings is:

P = Plug
/N = Naval
No II - Number or Mark of the plug
VAD = Vickers Armstrong Dartford (Manufacturer)
The other marks are inspection stamps etc.

The plug closes a standard 2 inch fuze well on various projectiles. The intention is to protect the fuze hole, contents and threads until the round is fitted with a fuze.

I can not make out the projectile properly from the images, however a 12 pr drill round is made of hardwood and brass. The item in your images seems to possibly be missing the driving band.

The 12 pr system is a BL separate loading the charge is contained in a cartridge case placed in the breach after the projectile is rammed home.

HE or PUKA we still have to respond, I've responded to pieces of Pipe, car mufflers, But for someone to say that, what kind of reply is that, A call is a call. Who tells someone to rebury the item? It just doesn't sound right to me.

I can not make out the projectile properly from the images, however a 12 pr drill round is made of hardwood and brass. The item in your images seems to possibly be missing the driving band.

Well I hate to disagree but the drill projectile I posted earlier has the same dimensions as the one posted by wicker, the same thick canvas over the body and a brass plug in the nose. Its also stamped DRILL QF 12 PR 12 CWT III/N
There were different types of drill round but I'm sure the one I've got is the same as the one wicker found.

12pr drill projectile.

I will also back up what Q says. It is definitely a naval drill projectile and the pictures he posted earlier are correct. The picture attached is of the plug in mine. I think Q deserves that plug! :tinysmile_shy_t:

BD

Attachments

• 12prd.jpg
    12prd.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 18
I will also back up what Q says. It is definitely a naval drill projectile and the pictures he posted earlier are correct. The picture attached is of the plug in mine. I think Q deserves that plug! :tinysmile_shy_t:

BD

Would drill rounds still weigh 1.5-2kg? Its certainly isn't made of wood.

Last edited:
HE or PUKA we still have to respond, I've responded to pieces of Pipe, car mufflers, But for someone to say that, what kind of reply is that, A call is a call. Who tells someone to rebury the item? It just doesn't sound right to me.

Yes I agree it wasn't dealt with in the correct manner but there wasn't more I could do when EOD said they weren't interested in investigating it further, and to leave it re-buried. The local police said they were happy if the EOD was happy!!

Last edited:
Would drill rounds still weigh 1.5-2kg? Its certainly isn't made of wood.

Yes Wicker, they would be weighted to the same weight as a business projectile. This example is a shaped solid lump of steel. The base and neck are of a larger diameter than the center where the waxed canvass is wrapped around. On removal of the plug you will see solid metal, nothing in it as it is not hollow.

These rounds were separate loaded. I have a wood and brass drill cartridge but not a wood/brass projectile - can anyone post a picture of one?

BD

Never mine, in future years when it corrodes more it will end up as another EOD call and maybe they will turn up and take it away to lessen the problem. However, can anyone out there can put hand on heart and say 100% its a drill item without seeing it first hand or investigating it needs a medal. The slightest doubt must be investigated and in my opinion not left for someone else to find as this may will end in tears...:cry:

Bleat Over with!

Well I can't say 100% its a drill round any more than I can be 100% sure of anything on this site. What I can say, based on the information supplied, is thats it looks the same as the drill round that I (and Burney Davis) posted, it has the same dimensions as the 12 PR drill and the same plug as a 12 PR drill.
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then its probably is a duck.
All you get is my opinon, just like anybody elses.

Can anybody else offer a better match?

P.S. Burney Davis's comments below puts it much better than I ever could.

Last edited:
12pr duck!

Well JTP, I think Q and I are in agreement that the EOD response on this was sadly lacking and we are certainly not suggesting guesses on such finds should be relied on. However, my personal opinion is this is a definitly a drill proj and that is not a guess, it is based on what we know, and having held and examined an actual example. Therefore I would say I am 100% certain. If I had the smallest shadow of a doubt then the response on this forum would have been completely different.

We are all working to the same end - take no chances and keep safe!

BD

Thanks

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have helped me in identifying my find. Going on information collated to date, it does appear to be a 12 pdr naval drill round.

The descriptions and photographs supplied by Q and BD, as well as JTPs details and those supplied by others do point to this conclusion.

At present the find is still buried where it was found on instruction from RN EOD, but no doubt will be dug up again in the future!!

The debate may be revisited! :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Thanks again,
Wicker.

Last edited:
This thread will now be closed as it seems that we (BOCN) seem more professional than others.

The only point I wish to make is that no person on BOCN was singled out and any adverse comment was meant for those outside the realms on this forum. However, the replies from all parties were extremely helpful.

Should anyone wish this thread to be reopened for more useful comments, please PM me.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.