What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with this one...

DJMyers

This was found in a burial pit and need ID ASAP. Thanks DJ

Attachments

• DSC02695.jpg
    DSC02695.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC02697.jpg
    DSC02697.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
U.S. M114 Biological Submunition

The items appear to be U.S. M114 Biological Submunitions. During development they were designated E 48R2.

The body is 40mm Diameter (1-5/8"), complete bomblet with fins 540mm long (21-5/16").

Central burster runs almost the full length of the round body. Body walls are only .028" thick steel. Each bomblet weights about 4.2 Lb. and carries 320 ml of liquid.

Hex shaped brass fuze designated M174-PD-air arming. Fuze arms at 200 fps. Uses M29 Burster (106 Grams-16 pellets).

These items were used with the M33 (500 Lb.) Cluster using the 500 LB. M26 Cluster adapter. Complete cluster to weigh 710 Lb. and is 15 inches in diameter by 60-3/8 inches long. The cluster was designated #96R3 during development. There should be 108 bomblets per cluster. The cluster used two M153 tail fuzes. The fuzes would initiate 38 inches of det cord to open the cluster from the tail.

These items were tested around 1956 to 1958. The Picatinny fuze is dated 1952. One test included dropping a completely filled cluster to let it impact the ground. It penetrated the ground without functioning the fuzes or bomblets.

All information UNCLASSIFIED

Attachments

• 2 side by side.jpg
    2 side by side.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 91
  • side by side 2.jpg
    side by side 2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 76
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Fuze details.jpg
    Fuze details.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Fuze details 2.jpg
    Fuze details 2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Here are some close ups of the front and rear seals. It appears that your aluminum fins have corroded away. From the close-ups, it would appear that the bomblet was filled from the rear, plugged with a rubber plug compressed in place by a steel washer, followed by and then sealed with a steel plug that has a rubber 0-ring. Dual redundant seals.

What was the original color of the cluster/dispenser body?

Attachments

• Front Seal CU.jpg
    Front Seal CU.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 52
  • Front wo fuze.jpg
    Front wo fuze.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Rear seal CU.jpg
    Rear seal CU.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Rear seal CU2.jpg
    Rear seal CU2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Fuzes 3.jpg
    Fuzes 3.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Hello HAZORD,

if you say Biological, what liquid filling should I think of?
What did they intent to fill it with?

Lex

There were 2 types of fillers that I know of, liquid and powder. We all know that Anthrax is a powder, but that powder could be suspended in a liquid. Unclassified documentation does not specify what the liquid contained.

Thank-you HAZ

Just wanted to say thank-you. Would you have any information on the dispencer or delivery system?

DJ,

Sorry, I don't have any info on the M26 cluster adaptor. Best of luck with your cleanup. I'm sure that there are a number of guys here that would give their eye teeth for some of those brass fuzes. Have you verified if the items were loaded with live fuzes and live bursting charges?

John

Responders

HAZ,

I am waiting on TEU to respond to them to ensure they are empty items. Although when the process is complete I will let folks know about the fuzes (empty/inert).

DJ

There are about three open source documents that have some info on the submunitions and dispensers, I'll check later today or this weekend and see what is available on the dispensers. JO

Here is a quick response - M33 Cluster, held 108 subs. Sorry for the quality, someone "borrowed" my original document a few years ago, have to make do with a poorly scanned copy that someone tried to use an early OCR program on. Info is still good however... Now lets see if I can figure out how to do an attachment here -

Attachments

• M33 cluster 1.jpg
    M33 cluster 1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 54
  • M33 Cluster 2.jpg
    M33 Cluster 2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 43