What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

latest addition

kahu1

Premium Member
37mm ( french? )
94mm case.
i've dipped the projectile in Evaporust,so will be refinishing as blackened metal.
I liked the stencilling on the cart base,haven't seen that on these vintage rounds before.
cheers Bob.

Attachments

• 156.jpg
    156.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 158.jpg
    158.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 166.jpg
    166.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 165.jpg
    165.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 152.jpg
    152.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 51
Question

What are the makings on the fuse - should be a lead washer, is the fuse still sealed.
These were left natural metal, just let it darken wax it if you need to protect it. If you want to age it, leave it bare and handle it a bit and so on then oil it.

Hi Kahu1,
Nice find, you don't see many cases at all with the stencilling remaining on the case.
That's a great round to add to your collection.

Best regards Weasel.

Hi ,
The only markings i could see on the fuse where on the base ,just the 2 symbols as per the cart. base.
The fuse is open top with what looks like a rubber washer at base.Lead washer between fuse and shell.
Thanks for the advise on aging ,i was just about to blacken it!

cheers Bob.

What are the makings on the fuse - should be a lead washer, is the fuse still sealed.
These were left natural metal, just let it darken wax it if you need to protect it. If you want to age it, leave it bare and handle it a bit and so on then oil it.

It looks like

A Nice 1915 round

Image is one with a dated fuse, note the 15 date is badly stamped backwards, (there being no 1951 run of these! -I think)
None of these appear to have been made in 1914 as the Navy had enough stocks on hand and so far there are no 1914 projectiles or dated fuses that I have ever seen. (If anybody has one send me an image and price !)
There are no 1915 dated casings. The date on the casing is the date of the contract and the production could actually have been in 1915. The wartime fuses all appear to be dated but prewar fuses seem not to be.
So You have a 1915 projectile in the proper 1914 dated case with a prewar fuse which is entirely possible.
At the start of the war the French navy had the 37x94 revolving guns in service (722 of them) and the single shot QF 37x94 deck gun. So at wars begining there was enough ammunition on hand. Starting sometime in 1915 the Navy single shot 37mm deck guns started to be issued to the front line troops, awkward but better than nothing. This likely called for an increase in the ammunition supply hence these 1915 rounds. In 1916 the New 37mm Cannon was issued and the manufacturing of the 37mm types took off and there were millions made (and it seems they are still with us).
The 1915 dated rounds are not nearly so common as the 1916-1918 horde.
Some 1915 projectiles have a smooth bottom like the prewar, some not.

Attachments

• IMG_8739.jpg
    IMG_8739.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 17
  • HotchkissLightT.R..jpg
    HotchkissLightT.R..jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 23
  • HotchkissLtAA1915-c.jpg
    HotchkissLtAA1915-c.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 21