What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Button Bombs

I am a believer that the "Gravel" Mines were not meant to be hand placed at all. The film definately states it is possible to pick them up. I haven't watched it all yet, but was it even made by us? But, when it comes to handling them, no way! I wouldn't be the one doing it nor can I think of anybody else including The entire US Military organization there and especially SOG.

They are in fact called an Area Deniability munitions that were used for that purpose and others. They were used against the PAVN/NVA at their home bases just across the border. They used them day or night and would stop them in their tracks. If you were an North Vietnamese Solider walking down another pathway to get to the south and you see a A1 Skyraider or A37 come by and you look up to see allot of little paper, shaped things come down all around you. Bingo, at that moment you know exactly what they are. You know exactly what they are because the Imperialists have used them against the Peoples Army of North Vietnam before. So you either run or you move on or along the trail at a turtles pace?

They were also used by the Air Force to seed any section of the "Truong Son Route". Term used by the Vietnames instead of what we called it; Ho Chi Minh Trail.

I am having second thoughts on the use of any of them for use with Operations "Igloo White" and "Duffle Bag". The reason being is how do you tell what is out there that needs to get bombed or gets another look-see and further investigation, and how do you tell it isn't worth the time an mission.

One other item. SOG after 1972 was really not itself much more. After that they were referred to as TFA1,2,& 3. They (SOG) had their own subdivision called "The Mining Authority". I wish I knew somebody that belonged to it back then. These were the gentlemen that bought SOG's mines from other people in other countries that those people never met the ones doing the buying. HINT: It is in the Middle East somewhere.

Sorry here, just playing a little "Secret Squirrel" on this subject and approaching it from another viewpoint ie., SOG's

Last edited:
Nope, I've found designations for about 18 models of gravel mines, but no designations for the button bombs. Here is a picture of my button bombs, with the gravel mines for size comparison. Button bombs are upper left and center, gravel mines are the cloth packets on right and across the lower third. Bottom row is BLU-43 - BLU-44s, then the dog-turd transmitter (not my designation) and variations of the Soviet PFM-1s.

Sorry to bring this up again but I am really wondering what the 18 models of gravel mines were.
I know the standard XMs , but what other ones exist?
Does anyone know?

JO? you must be really busy. take care.
dave

Got my hands full at the moment with issues and exercises at some of my airports. Get your hands on a copy of the 1970 Picatinny book on dispensers. It will give the most info on the largest number of items, the rest you will have to dig for. I know that Schmidt sells electronic copies of it, it may be available elsewhere as well.

Got my hands full at the moment with issues and exercises at some of my airports. Get your hands on a copy of the 1970 Picatinny book on dispensers. It will give the most info on the largest number of items, the rest you will have to dig for. I know that Schmidt sells electronic copies of it, it may be available elsewhere as well.

JO, I understand that. Could you possiby tell me the full name of the Picatinny book with serial no. or whatever is used. I will be moving around with my girlfriend in Germany so I am really pressed for money. Maybe a kind BOCN member knows how to upload it...?

Failing that how do I contact this Mr. Schmidt?

heres a start
apparently they were made at RMA (Rocky Mt. Arsenal) if we are talking about the XM40E5.
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a274640.pdf

now for me the question is if the XM40E5 was the same as the display board that EODTEk (with the leaf shaped bomblets) shared with us? or did those have another designation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, the crappy photo is a place holder since my good camera is sitting at the office. The top of the board says "Seed Dispenser" with the following colors listed below:

Forest Green
Brown
Gold
Rust
Tan
Straw

The different sizes are listed as:

Disc
Random
Cross
Leaf

The "Disc" size is about the size of a Quarter.
That is all I have.

this is the one i mean. never seen these before. are theses XM40E5? any body know how theese were made and by whom? were they mass produced and when were they decommisioned? thanks that would be great to know.

anythin new my BOCN friends?
we've got to solve this mystery! no munition left behind...

Bombsaway 1980,

I had no part in Task Force Alpha. Though I wouldn't of mined it!

Jeff, drop me an email. I just finished a contract with LockHeed and met this really neat old guy that could talk for years about button bombs and gravel mines. Which according to hom were not the same thing. The button bombs were sensors and/or sensor signal. There was one gravel mine (are we all seem to call it that) was made at Rocky Moutian Arsenal and it was also a sensor signal. got some data on it. The button bomb project did not last every long even though thousands and thousands were made, an electronic cmpany made them, am suppose tog et some more details on that too.

As for gravel mine, 75% of them were made at Cornhusker and the rest at Iowa AAP.

talk later

Jeff, drop me an email. I just finished a contract with LockHeed and met this really neat old guy that could talk for years about button bombs and gravel mines. Which according to hom were not the same thing. The button bombs were sensors and/or sensor signal. There was one gravel mine (are we all seem to call it that) was made at Rocky Moutian Arsenal and it was also a sensor signal. got some data on it. The button bomb project did not last every long even though thousands and thousands were made, an electronic cmpany made them, am suppose tog et some more details on that too.

As for gravel mine, 75% of them were made at Cornhusker and the rest at Iowa AAP.

talk later

Oh sweet Jesus...please share some info will you? We all want to know two things: what was the designation of the 'plastic button bomblets/electronic bomblets' and how many were made and who made them? Do you have pics? I sent you a mail Mike.
Best,
Dave :bigsmile:

Guys, anything new???
Am I the only one so excited about this...?

Gonna bump this one. Does anyone have any data on the testing of these things, particularly at Picatinny in the "Little Vietnam" area? Currently working up here and for the most part all we get are shrugs and, "well, we knew they tested them in there and they COULD be there", kinda thing, but no hard fast data. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, y'all, Bruce.

At this point out side the tech center, I may have more data then some. email me at webereod@yahoo.com and as soon as I get home I'll see what you need. But by this time (short of having any found in tubs like found at another site) you're only going to find various shaped pads, maybe some electronics and chunks of RDX (but they may also be all dissolved so to speak. Chances of finding a live mine are extremely rare. Picatinny also only test a couple ofhe mines and also developed the RSP for a couple of the carriers/ Army cluster for helicopter. I have that pub plus others. Have been trying to complete a written history of thegravel mine, but just haven't finished it.

If you do environmental work, you'll find pH variations in the soil, RDX and heavy metals (lead)

I'm still working on this guys, have all my docs pulled and printed. Right now I am marking our duplicate statements so as to make it easier to pull section for the right up. I have also finished my interviews with 1 expl engineer who worked on these at both Cornhusker and Rocky Mountain. What I can say is the photo with the "buttn bomblets" that were in plastic and had various shapes was a one time try. Seeral thousands of them were made with the postasium chlorate mix. There wre to be the first early warning devcies, but failed becasue they basically didb't make the pattern the wanted, were too low on the pyro mix to make a meaningful bang. They were up graded to the XM 40 and another early warning mine. The button bomb name stayed on becasue the pyro filler was a round thin looking item that at the time they thiught looked like a button. In a number of the doc's and charts we all have seen you will see the term button along with the nomenclature. you will also see terms like micro gravel, sandwich button bomb and gravel minlet. As for loading them, strangley enough there were very few accident (except when they let them get dry). But also as in most all doc's the lead azide for the HE models was kept in feron - an operator would scoop out a specific amount pul in in he bag, bag would do backinto feron, then taken out and a RDX element added, tehn back intothe feron, then taken out and sewn, back into the feron, then pulled out loaded into what ever dispenser Dispenser seald and pumped full of feron. The same procedure was used for a couple of the eraly warning bomblets. When the bomblets were dispensed (depending on aircraft dropping them) a nice pattern could be made. The bomblets would set on the jungle floor, depending on the temp, humdity determioned the arming time (or if they fell in water which then they could not arm). With out going into each model, one had litium chloride to neuralize the azide once it came in contact with enough waer (the RDX charge would be left behind tough), some just rotted and fell apart (but by now the azide will be pretty much dead. Could go on and on, but the wife is yelling saying we are going to be late for the Memorial Day Parade. Which by the Happy Memorial Day