What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ElAZ25D

F0031

Here is one of my cheaper Beltring purchases: an ElAZ 25 D fuze for 1. What's the best way to get rid of all that tar? I tried cooking it in boiling water with mixed results!

Attachments

• ElAZ25D a.jpg
    ElAZ25D a.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 93
You Need a solvent for tar like acetone, just make sure there are no plastic bits you dont want dissolved on the item first.

You Need a solvent for tar like acetone, just make sure there are no plastic bits you dont want dissolved on the item first.

Hi Charlie
Good find for a pound,this will give you a good insite on fuse internals

Soak everything you need to in white spirit or parafin.

It wont hurt any of the bakerlite components.

Best

try hot cooking oil.. slowly raise temp.. works on metal items.. not sure what it would do to the capacitors though.

All wrong! The easiest way to remove the tar is to put the fuze in the freezer so the tar becomes brittle. It can than easily be removed with a needle or a small pointed object. Cooking the thing will only soften the tar and make it run into small holes, making it even more difficult to remove. Solving it in oil will make your transparant trembler switch block go dark and non transparant as the solved tar will enter te inside (and cracks), using aceton will dissolve your transparant tembler switch block either make it non transparant.
Regards DJH

Thanks. As you can see; putting the thing in the deep freezer for a couple of hours at -10 celcius will keep your transparent parts transparent.
It also works out nice with the condesnser (7) of the El.Zt.Z.9; freezing it, cutting (saw) it, freezing it again, rasping and polishing. If hardened by the cold, the tar is not sticky anymore.

Second attempt

Here's my second attempt at dismantling an ElAZ 25D (another Beltring 1 buy). Thus one appears to have suffered a lot of heat before it got to me. The plastic part is a mess. Also the resinous material at the bottom was missing along with the aluminium bit. But the condenser came out cleanly, and you can read the values of some of the resistors.

Tony

Attachments

• Fuze ElAZ 25D B.jpg
    Fuze ElAZ 25D B.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 38
My 25 was subjected to a fire, all the guts were covered in tar before i even started and the plastic bit bubbled up like yours.

Just had a thought. I hope I am not contravening the terms of this Forum by showing pictures of a dismantled German fuze.

Just had a thought. I hope I am not contravening the terms of this Forum by showing pictures of a dismantled German fuze.

As far as im aware,i dont think you're breaking any rules.?
Its just an undone 25D.

best

Waff

Thanks. I thought as much. Dismantling a fuze is not the same as dismantling a live bomb.

Pictures and diagrams are fine and serve a useful purpose, but there is nothing like getting your hands dirty with the real thing!

I noticed that my three trembler switches are all in the 'connected' position. Is this correct? One would then assume that the impact of the bomb temporarily disconnects at least one of them. I can't find a diagram of the 25D; can anyone help?

Thanks.

Fuze diagrammes

The (25) fuze diagrammes

Attachments

• 25diagrammes 004.jpg
    25diagrammes 004.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 25diagrammes 001.jpg
    25diagrammes 001.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 25diagrammes 002.jpg
    25diagrammes 002.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 25diagrammes 003.jpg
    25diagrammes 003.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 22
Hi F0031, The trembler switches are the part No.5 in the ElAz. 38 top part picture. The outer ring is the -connection, the tapered wound spring in the middle, ending in a thin singel wire stem is the +connection. At the sudden shock of impact , the springs cone bends due to the weight of the wire cone, closing the circuit for just a blink, however enough to activate the glow wire. If these wires are in connected position, they were probably bend in this position during the "take apart" proces of the fuze. taking apart these fuzes with minor damage is quite impossible..

Regards DJH

Attachments

• trembler switches.JPG
    trembler switches.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 30
  • El.A.Z.25 numbers.JPG
    El.A.Z.25 numbers.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 24
Thanks for this explanation. Here's the detail view of my first 25D.

I found the fourth switch round the side. Not visible in the picture.

T.

Attachments

• Fuze ElAZ 25 D A3e.jpg
    Fuze ElAZ 25 D A3e.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: