What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

typical U.S. gun de-mill

Typically when a gun is de-milled in the U.S. it is usually cut into 4 pieces. Pictured is an Oerlikon 20mm gun for sale at a surplus store for 395.00 U.S. As can be seen the gun is rather sloppily hacked into pieces. Could not they done a neater job with the collector in mind. It is almost sickening to see it done in this fashion. But an industrious collector can re weld back together and make an impressive display piece. I just wanted to show what I think is typical for a U.S. de-mill gun...Dano

Attachments

• orl1.jpg
    orl1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 259
I think that is very permanant deactivation there Dano...:tinysmile_cry_t3:

Back in the late 60s or early 70s the NZ army cut and dumped a lot of surplus weapons like Brens, Stens and .38 Victory revolvers. All cut in around the same place and dumped on Waiouru army base ( The ones I was told about) The guys dumping them and no doubt other scavengers slipped a few of thes away for a rainy day, I have seen a couple of repaired stens, a .38 Victory with a gas cut still in the sideplate back in working order and Im about to add a couple of .38 Victorys to my collection that were repaired and returned to working condition by a good friend of mine who obtained the pair from one of the guys doing the dumping at the time, as he puts it "Back when I was handy with a welder and a milling machine"
I think they are cool for the fact they have a bit of a story behind them and I remember seeing them way back when I was still at High School. Now the owner is ready to pass his collection on so I was able to buy a few bits at very friendly prices and will collect them in a few weeks.
MG34NZ

For years I had a Bren in my hide in the garden as a kid.
I lived near Plymouth at the time & there were loads of dumps from the 40`s around Plymouth.
We used to find shells, cases, bayonets Lee`s, Brens & helmets & assorted gun furniture (fairly sure I had what I now believe to be the stock & fore for an M1 carbine!!).
This Bren had a `gas axe` cut across the RH side but the mag cover still moved fully open.
Good days sadly gone

12/24 20mm canon

The place that sells the Oerlikons, also sell a demil 20mm canon for Vulcan shells. Newer and not so radical a demil, beleive they are 12/24 and a really "tits" looking canon, This would be the one I would go for if I were in the market. A real piece of history and to display one in any circumstance would be a valuable asset to any collection (same place selling WWII depth harge canister...Dano

pic demil MK12/Mk24 20mm anon

Forgot to add pic of M12 / M24 29mm Vulcan canon (brain fart). The demil is no where radical as is so on the 20mm Oerlikon...Dano

Attachments

• 20mm.jpg
    20mm.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 167
Dano,

Typical usage of the term "vulcan" when referring to cannon designs is the M61 20mm 6-barrel rotary barrel (Gatling style) cannon. They are electic or hydraulic driven. "minigun" is the .308 version. The 30mm 7-barrel GAU-8 in the A-10 warthog is referred to as the "Avenger", and the 5-barrel 25mm gun in the Harrier is referred to as the "Equilizer", etc. There are a number of other calibers and countries that make their own variations of a gatling style gun design for high rates of fire, but each one has its own name, or at least a military designation. If you want to get into cannons, Tony Williams has a number of books to feed your new interest.

Last edited:
The place that sells the Oerlikons, also sell a demil 20mm canon for Vulcan shells. Newer and not so radical a demil, beleive they are 12/24 and a really "tits" looking canon, This would be the one I would go for if I were in the market. A real piece of history and to display one in any circumstance would be a valuable asset to any collection (same place selling WWII depth harge canister...Dano
I think i know who your talking about, they used to have 16 inch naval rounds also, but there to heavy for me to move even though i've always wanted one. the ultimate big bullet :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

For years I had a Bren in my hide in the garden as a kid.
I lived near Plymouth at the time & there were loads of dumps from the 40`s around Plymouth.
We used to find shells, cases, bayonets Lee`s, Brens & helmets & assorted gun furniture (fairly sure I had what I now believe to be the stock & fore for an M1 carbine!!).
This Bren had a `gas axe` cut across the RH side but the mag cover still moved fully open.
Good days sadly gone
What happened to the Bren?

A10 Warthog

I've searched using `A10' and `Warthog' and Haz's post was the only one to link. These photos are not strictly of the gun but more of the platform and effects. The posts in the last photo are actually telegraph poles, to give you an idea of the amount of `splash' from a shot. They were firing inert practice shell.

Attachments

• UK bombing range 1.jpg
    UK bombing range 1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 34
  • UK bombing range 2.jpg
    UK bombing range 2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 41
  • UK bombing range 3.jpg
    UK bombing range 3.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 56
Those guns have been on that site for years, it's a surplus store in Indiana IIRC. Any demilled gun can be brought back into service with some nice welding and mill/lathe skills. Brens have been done for years, maxims, 1919's, Lately it's Milled AK47's that are being rewelded, so well infact that you can't tell it was once in three pieces. With the proper jigs it could be done but in this case it would be a DD and require much paper work and thought to make it semi only, including a sample sent to the ATF for approval. I would be content with a dummy though! As bad as the restrictions and what not that we have to deal with we still have some of the best gun rights in the world albeit slowly deminishing with the lib's adding more restrictions, we still have the Freedoms other countrymen envy.

What a shame to see a classic gun like the Oerlikon cut like that. Someone could restitch it though I'm sure.

There are great examples of Brens rewelded together.