What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you go down to the garage today.....

Hi Phil
Bead blsting is ok for steel , but Look in the Antique Restorers handbook By Albert Jackson and david Day and you will find a nice solution , which i have used over many years consisting of Boiling Water, Salt and Vinegar mix , left for about an hour and they will come up nicely, then buff with a soft cloth , and No damage to either Zinc , ali Brass etc and the good thing is it works.
I have had Fuzes from Reichlin in that condition i restored them , by using my solution its worked wonders .

Last edited by a moderator:
You gotto admit that they look ok surely! Check out the details on the last pics i posted.
I believe that they have been done with glass beads so not as abrasive. :)
Not sure what the normal beads are made of?

W

Hi Phil
Bead blsting is ok for steel , but Look in the Antique Restorers handbook By Albert Jackson and david Day and you will find a nice solution , which i have used over many years consisting of Boiling Water, Salt and Vinegar mix , left for about an hour and they will come up nicely, then buff with a soft cloth , and No damage to either Zinc , ali Brass etc and the good thing is it works.
I have had Fuzes from Reichlin in that condition i restored them , by using my solution its worked wonders .

Hi Steve

Agreed that the more gentle aproach is good but this is not bead blasting.
My bigger bombs get the bead blasting which is about 300psi with garnet
agregate fired through teflon nozzles.
The favoured one is glass dust which is as fine as pepper dust and dissapears once used. we use no more that 60 psi which is about the equivilant of blowing your tyres up,as i spray paint through the gun at 35psi.there is no nasty key ing up or tear marks.
It just gets every nook and cranny clean including the rusting parts ie
safety wire and arming spindle.
My watch maker has a lot of his larger brass work cleaned in this manner and
that leaves it ready to accept final buffing upon reasemblie.

None of these 41s had been oil rubbed but with a nice cotton cloth they would get back a lustre with not to much trouble.

As i strip some of these fuses down i find it easier to remover dust from the mechanisms rather than any fluids which means you dont have to
use any compresessed air or heat which might have an adverse affect
on balance wheels or return springs etc.

Best

Hi Phil
If i were restoring a large metallic item like a bomb then yes sand blasting , would be acceptable , but on a delicate object like fuzes then a solution i described would be better , having seen those done at Beltring on Pauls stand , the damage done to them horrified me.
Each to our own methods

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i certainly was in for a big surprise!!!

I just got back from a bit of a mission tha cost me the best part of the last 24 hours(long story,another time) but alls well that ends well!...
Opened the garage and there was a package from Germany...Only 4+ months late but better late than never i guess?

They are the missing type 41a's and the type 67 SD2 butterfly bomb fuzes that i was flapping about in another topic about being ripped off again..
Now,ive to PM a few of you lads to see if the arrival was anything to do with your intervention or word got back to this guy somehow or other?
Either way,thank you.

W

Finally landed ol mate.
This could be time for a nice section 67 which i would enjoy doing again
with possibly a better movement.
I am still waiting for two fully ticking 67 movements to arrive but to be honest i have dragged me heals a bit.

Attachments

• sectioned 67 001.jpg
    sectioned 67 001.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 20
  • sectioned 67 006.jpg
    sectioned 67 006.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 18
Hi Phil
If i were restoring a large metallic item like a bomb then yes sand blasting , would be acceptable , but on a delicate object like fuzes then a solution i described would be better , having seen those done at Beltring on Pauls stand , the damage done to them horrified me.
Each to our own methods

Yes indeed each to our own
But the ones on pauls stall were not damaged by cleaning as they were just the worst of the lot.
There is another 30 that were exellent examples and have gone into
the keepers pile,all these were good for were sectioning or donar parts
for others,which is why they were cheap and a lot went over the week.

Hi Phil
Each to our own methods

That horrific that i sold 19 of them in 3 days at 15 each......and they were just the rougher ones....

Not being funny here but i know for a fact that all of us fuze collectors(in this thread especially)have 'polished' fuzes in our collections and ive never heard anything said against them??
Please refer to the last 2 pics i put in this thread and tell me for the life of me what is wrong with that lovely face on that 41A??
(post 12,pic 1)
regards

W

Last edited:
Sympathetic restoration is my motto not destruction , not seeing the fuzes first hand im sure blasting them still added to their extra damage , i know fellow collectors might like them and i have nothing against that , but you wont find any like that in my collection., thank you very much

A reminder in that case..... I find this more than acceptable and cannot seem to fault it?
Done post glass dust treatment.
I will take some daylight shots tomorrow of a couple of the others and you can see how nice the arming wire attachment comes up.
I take it you dont want that 67 that you text me about today then?
Wouldnt like to ruin your pristine collection with one of my dogs now........... :aetsch: ;)

W

Attachments

• glass beaded fuze 1.jpg
    glass beaded fuze 1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 17
Phil,
Do me a favour please. When you get that package,post a pic of one of those 67's and i gaurantee any soapy water treatment will not bring it back to a decent standard.
I swear if it did i will kiss my butt in front of Blackburn town hall.

W

Phil,
Do me a favour please. When you get that package,post a pic of one of those 67's and i gaurantee any soapy water treatment will not bring it back to a decent standard.

W
No problem paul
As these ones will still need cleaning and oiling up prior to stripping.

Did i tell you that my latest car restoration has been given a six page article in one of the countries leading magazines and awarded pride of place,Destruction eh

Phil,

W

My camera is ready and waiting for our visit to Blackburn town hall!

Permision to post pic to this site please! LOL!!!!!!

:tinysmile_shy_t::tinysmile_shy_t::tinysmile_shy_t::tinysmile_shy_t:

lol! Believe me brother,no amount of soapy,vinegar,scrubbing or what have you will recover them . Its glass-dust or nowt.

W

Ive moved this post due to the amount of discussion on methods for cleaning these fuzes ,I personally think they have come up well with the glass blasting or whatever its called,theres lots of other good suggestions for cleaning methods as well,
in the end its down to what products /services the individual has available to get the job done to their satisfaction..

Ive moved this post due to the amount of discussion on methods for cleaning these fuzes ,I personally think they have come up well with the glass blasting or whatever its called,theres lots of other good suggestions for cleaning methods as well,
in the end its down to what products /services the individual has available to get the job done to their satisfaction..

Amen to that Squire. :)

W