What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cornwall

18pounder

Hi all
I'm going to Looe,Cornwall soon for a week.

Any you fine chaps know of any interesting places to visit?

Any old coastal defences maybe? Museums?

I could take some pictures and show them here maybe.

Let me know

Thanks
Doug (AKA 18pounder)
:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Hello Doug, there are two walks, one in Porthcurno and one in St Michael's Mount in the book 'Beaches, fields, streets, and hills. the anti-invasion landscape of England, 1940. William Foot.

Or you could always drive along the coast, well, quite a few miles, and end up at Bovington tank museum, well worth a visit!!
Dave.

If your in Dorset try and get from the library 'Military Dorset Today' by Colin A. Pomeroy. Loads of places to visit, tank museum included!

hi doug theres a old coastal defence up on the cliff at ready money cove in fowey its still got the tracks where the gun was mounted

regards lee

Attachments

• 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 32
  • head.jpg
    head.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 29
thanks (cornwall places to visit)

Thanks all for the suggestions,I'll let you know if I visit any of areas mentioned.
Thanks again
18pounder

Hi Doug,
Just back up the coast a bit towards Plymouth from Looe you will find a place called Kingsand, if you walk from there towards Plymouth sound you will find more places of interest than you have time to explore.
I have spent many a day looking around down there,
Best regards Weasel.

Hi all
I'm going to Looe,Cornwall soon for a week.

Any you fine chaps know of any interesting places to visit?

Any old coastal defences maybe? Museums?

I could take some pictures and show them here maybe.

Let me know

Thanks
Doug (AKA 18pounder)

Hi Doug

ime going there myself on Friday 14th for some shark fishing over the weekend, you there then? Maybe we could have a beer or 3.

Andy

Last edited:
If you end up plymouth way then go to Bovisand beach & do the coastal walk to Heybrook bay - loads of old gun emplacements.
Drakes Island is also good (or used to be 30 years ago!!)

Drakes Island is a fantastic place to explore, i spent a week there as a teenager. so many defences from all different time periods all built on top of each other. Pretty sure it is private now, As Andy said fort bovisand is a good place to see as well the end fort in a ring of 43 that encircle Plymouth. Send me a pm if you want any info on exploring some of these.
Best regards Weasel.

thanks all,sounds great.
Thinks i'll have a good old explore

well returned from a week in cornwall!

weather was really good,didnt have much time to explore around the coast as was suggested but went on a boat trip from Plymouth around the Nuclear Subs and other Navy ships in dock.

Very interesting,some of them were armed with the Anti missile defence gun.

oh and er visited the DR who museum at Lands end,my daughter clung to me like a limpet mine all the way through and was terrified..
We stayed at Millendreath nr Looe.
18pounder

Nice one bud,

was there over last W/end, caught n tagged 2 sharks, also took a hook out of one that had been there for months, doing it no good at all, probbably from a Portuguese longliner so did it a favour. Shame you didnt want to meet.

Andy

brill gothika
i'm always looking out for sharks when snokelling!
I think its because of watching Jaws when i was a kid and its stuck!
I got buzzed by a baracuder in spain once,and I came out the water like a polaris missile!
such a girl.:tinysmile_cry_t2:
Hope you had a good break though
Doug