What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good museum

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I work out of my home country, being based in The Netherlands. From there I spend much of my time on the road to many far away destinations that generally sound much more exotic than they really are. On occasion however, you get a little free time to do as you wish, and I sometimes am able to find a hidden gem or two in regional museums.

During my free time I am currently working on an identification handbook for Japanese explosive ordnance and have been seeking out physical examples to photograph. While on a recent work trip to Tokyo, I had a free day and took the bullet train for about 4 hours south to Kure, near Hiroshima, where you can find the Yamato Museum.

The centerpiece for the museum is the giant model of the Yamato battleship, but for ordnance collectors it is the adjoining room which is much more interesting. The fighter and the mini-sub aside, there are some torpedos, a variant of the Kaiten "kamikazie" submarine, and a very nice row of projectiles which include the super rare 46cm air-burst incendiary projectile (18.2-inch for those of you metrically challenged). There is one bomb on display with the fighter, but it appears to be a mock-up and does not appear to be completely accurate. Its a very nice museum, well laid out, easy to get to with some good bullets. Worth the visit if you're in the neighborhood.

Attachments

• DSC_1861.jpg
    DSC_1861.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_1871.jpg
    DSC_1871.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_1854.jpg
    DSC_1854.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_1792.jpg
    DSC_1792.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_1848.jpg
    DSC_1848.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 64
Good museum...

Hello US-Subs,

THANK YOU for sharing your Yamoto Museum photographs with us! I've read about their 18.2 inch (mentally challenged) air-burst projectile and now have a picture of the beast. The Yamoto was truly an INCREDABLE weapons platform.

Best regards,

Randall

Nice photos. Nothing like using I-beams to rest your projectiles on.

What is the submarine that is outside the museum, that looks like a U.S. attack sub?

Nice collection.

Thanks for sharing the pics and info with us US-Subs, very nice collection that little lot.

John,
the large sub was a separate exhibit across the street, it had no ordnance so I wasn't terribly interested and didn't go in. From what I cound tell outside it was a fairly recently decommissioned Japanese sub, I was not previously aware they currently maintained a submarine fleet as part of the sdf. Impressive to see as you come around the corner though.

Hi US & welcome.
Where in NL are you from. I have lived& worked over there on & off for the last 30 years & my wife is from Voorschoten.
Any chance of going over the dunes @ Scheveningen with a metal detector & shovel ??!!!

Michigan

.... - but currently residing in Leiden. I'm not sure what the rules are over here about magging in the dunes, but they are pretty sticky about ordnance collectors. License required. I am pretty fortunate, I get paid to look at what others have dug up.