What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chalk one M2A1 up.

Lou

A very gracious thank you to a fellow member and long distance pal for helping me fill one more hole in my"general ordnance" collection.Only 572 items to go now!!!!
This came naked,"no offence to the pal,he's a busy man"and a little neglected.I havent finished it yet,but the paint worked out well.Well, it is only OD,not too hard to screw that up,duh.All I need to finish is some inert internals!!!!

Kinda makes me wonder how many of you have neglected rusty projects tucked back in the corner of the shop????:xd:I know you doo.Chime in all!!

Attachments

• Newbies 004.jpg
    Newbies 004.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Newbies 005.jpg
    Newbies 005.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Newbies 006.jpg
    Newbies 006.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Newbies 001.jpg
    Newbies 001.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 47
Lou, that's a nice looking body in great condition. Not too easy to find these days.

The bounding portion that is ejected from the main body is an unfinished, slightly modified body for a 60mm mortar. The fins are removed, a small adapter in their place and a plug in the nose with a short pyrotechnic delay and a detonator. Depending on the factory and the time period there are quite a few variations, as it was an unfinished body the specs were quite loose. I'll see if I can get my son to take a photo of one of mine at home and I'll attach later.

The son delivered, as promised. I've included a couple pictures of the flare unit for the M48 Trip Flare as well, should you find the body for that.

Attachments

• Mine 6.jpg
    Mine 6.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Mine 2.jpg
    Mine 2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Mine 4.jpg
    Mine 4.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Mine 5.jpg
    Mine 5.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 58
mine

Hi Lou, here is drawing of internal workings/// of M2A4..Dano

Attachments

• M2A4_mine_M6A1_fuze.jpg
    M2A4_mine_M6A1_fuze.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 45
Chalk one M2A1 up...

Here are some photographs of my inert 1943 dated M2A1 bounding mine HE projectile and delay fuze. It's stamped: LOT - LF - 80 - 1943 - M2A1 & M2A1B1. These were manufactured from partially machined 60mm mortar rounds that contained an imperfectly drilled tail fin attachment hole. (see photos). They still worked just fine in our AP mines.

Best regards,

Randall

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 51
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 31
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 37
  • P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 41
  • P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 45
Nice projectiles fellas. I've got the practice version with the cardboard projectile,but not the true ap mine and projectile.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Awesome posts guys,thanks for all the pics and comments. Im sorry I dont participate more when I start a string.Funky work hours and all that. So all of you please,I appreciate your help and imput.And I apologise for not being very timely.
SO!!! Thanks again. And yes I did happen to stumble upon an M48"pics below" The one thing I am looking for,for the M2A1,is the time delay plug for the 60mm mortar body.Any one have a spare please let me know,I'll pay a fair price.

Attachments

• M48 020.jpg
    M48 020.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 20
  • M48 004.jpg
    M48 004.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 20
  • M48 006.jpg
    M48 006.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 16
  • M48 010.jpg
    M48 010.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 15
  • M48 012.jpg
    M48 012.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 17
Here are some photographs of my inert 1943 dated M2A1 bounding mine HE projectile and delay fuze. It's stamped: LOT - LF - 80 - 1943 - M2A1 & M2A1B1. These were manufactured from partially machined 60mm mortar rounds that contained an imperfectly drilled tail fin attachment hole. (see photos). They still worked just fine in our AP mines.

Best regards,

Randall
Fantastic photos brother.It answered alot of questions I had about this body.I hope I can run into one like this someday.

edimacate my fried brain

Lou, admittedly I know squat about these rounds, but have eye appeal to me which interests me, really bitchin' lookin stuff, would like to learn more so if anyone can try to educate a tad i'd appreciate it...Dano

Last edited:
Cardboard projectile for practice M8 mine

Lou, sorry for the delay, I was out of town over the weekend and had to wrench on my quad after work yesterday. Anyway here are the pics of the practice version of this mine with the cardboard projectile. The projectile has a hole in the bottom for a cartridge that is based on a 12ga shotgun shell with no primer (a small piece of time fuse in it's place) and a spotting charge instead of shot. Later versions did away with the projectile and had fast burning smoke pellets instead.

Attachments

• a 005.jpg
    a 005.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 17
  • a 006.jpg
    a 006.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 16
  • a 007.jpg
    a 007.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 17
  • a 004.jpg
    a 004.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 18
Ahhh,yes.Now I understand.I actually saw the cartdrige for sale on a site. Couldnt put 2 and 2 together.Now it makes perfect sense.Thanks
Glad you wrenched the quad and didnt wrench something else.A buddy of mine spent the summer in a full leg cast this year.His new nickname is itchy.:xd:

Lou, just had to repace the starter, parts go bad once in a while. As for injuries I learned the importance of proper tire pressure the day I bought it. I still have a mark on my ribs from the handlebars. As for the projectiles I seen some on ebay a year or two ago go pretty cheep. I wish I'd bid on the lot as it was all new replacement parts including tha caps, but it was before I got my mines.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Yep,spent two years a learnin how to fix all mannor of quad.That would be back when one could still find the tri version at the dealerships.Jumped both feet into the industry,and I'll be damned if it would have taken me 30 years to pay for my schooling.Im glad to hear someones workin on thier own.
Im new to mines,and looking for more.Missed out on a few deals myself,in the past.

Before this I've had a couple of claymores come and go through my collection, I picked up the one that is my avitar last fall. My M8's came to me from a former surplus dealer, thats gone collector/reinactor. I traded him a bunch of 7.62mm blanks for 3 mines.
I started out working in high school in a full service gas station and garage, and for the last 15 or so years I've made a living as a machinist.

That mine was also used in Vietnam. The NVA/Vc would find the fired ones and take them back to "workshop" and place a regular M26A1 with a black powder charge. Just FYI.

Last edited: