What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm Ammunition

edstorey

BOCN Supporter
This Ammunition Box held Canadian 40mm Grenades for the M203. Does anyone know the proper name for this type of box?

AmmunitionBox18Cartridges40mmLVPMCC.jpg

AmmunitionBox18Cartridges40mmLVP-1.jpg

Lift the handle up on the end and I think its stamped on there. Is it an M2A1?

M2A1 Can

It is a M2A1 can, I believe the official name is Box Ammunition M2A1, but my memory may not be that good. Currently Canadian 40mm ammunition is packed 18 cartridges/M2A1 can, 2 cans/wirebound box.

Only my speculation, but the wirebound box will probably disappear in the not too distant future and the ammunition will be palletized in M2A1 cans. The markings will change, since the M2A1 will go from being a inner pack to being the outer pack.

Wirebound Wooden Boxes

Thanks for the information, looks like the wirebound ammunition crates will be rarer than the metal ammuntion boxes. Will all the SA ammunition be packaged without the exterior wooden crate?

Ammo Boxes

Pretty much all small arms comes only in metal ammo cans, the wirebound box is pretty much a thing of the past. There is new packaging for 9mm cartridges which I have not seen yet, so I am not sure about the 9mm.

5.56mm Ball, Blank, Tracer, and FX are packed in M2A1 cans.
.50 Cal linked and .50 cal sniper elite are packed in M2A1 cans
7.62mm linked in packed in M19A1 cans
5.56mm linked is packed in C42 or PA108 cans - same can with two model numbers, not sure why

There are still older lots in the system with wirebound boxes, but they will all eventually disappear. The wirebound boxes for larger calibre ammunition is also disappearing as plastic containers are being used for most tank and howitzer ammunition.

Ammo Cans

No sorry, I left that part out. The 5.56mm linked is packed 200 cartridges/C41 or C42 plastic drum. One drum is for blank and one for ball/tracer. I cannot remember which model number is for which.

The drum you have is for blank ammunition so it is narrower so ball ammunition cannot accidentally be loaded into it.

Each plastic drum is packed in a bandoleer, and then four bandoleers are packed in the C42 or PA108 can. The can is the same as the M2A1 can but slightly larger.

Great Information

Good information, thanks. Do you know wht the previous ammo cans were called? I have the nomenclature for the WWII cans but not the ones that seemed to have been introduced in the 1960s.

Ammo Cans

I am not sure, there was a M2 can that was similar to the M2A1, but had a different latch. If you can post photos of any you are trying to find the name of, I know some older ammo techs that can probably tell me what they are.

Ammo Cans

Both are M19A1 cans. The first is for 9mm, which would be packed 64 cartridges per cardboard cartons, 15 cartons per M19A1 can, 3 M19A1 cans per wirebound box. This is the old packaging for 9mm, but is still found in service. The new pack (I haven't seen it yet) is 50 cartridges per plastic tray in a cardboard carton. Very similar to civilian ammunition.

The second can is for 7.62mm linked 4 ball 1 tracer. The belt would be loose in the can with a few cardboard pieces between the cartridges and the side of the box. I like the markings on that can. They have changed since then. The can would be marked 220 Cartridges Linked 4 Ball C21 1 Tracer C19. It no longer specifies the quantity of each type of cartridge. The word functional indicates that the belt is made up of different lots of ammunition, one lot of ball (there could be up to 3 lots) and one lot of tracer (there could be up to 2 lots). Today the word functional is replaced by the identifier code "L".

The lot number on your plastic drum is IVI00B56-02, there would only be one lot of blank ammunition in this drum. If this drum contained ball and tracer linked together (thus two lots), the lot number would be IVI00B56L02.