Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

you won't beleive this!

A tractor trailer turned over by a buddies house friday night and it was full of cluster bombs and submunitions. all inert and heading for the scrap yard. so i managed to get some stuff i think i'll get more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 698 Posts
    Major score! You should find out which scrap yard they are going to, and make that a regular place to visit. You might even befriend someone there who can call you whenever they get new shipments, or at least point you to the spot where they dump the trucks.
    ___HAZ/
    _____/ORD Hazardous Ordnance Recognition
    ________Saving Lives Through Education

Thanks
    i'm trying to find out were it's coming from to. i know one of the truck driver's, they have been hauling 155mm howitzer shells to.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Yes, the cylindrical submunitions come from 155mm and 8 inch projectiles. The yellow lifting lugs are from pallets of 155mm projos. The lead slug in the middle of the lifting lug is to releive pressure if the projo gets too hot, so the expulsion charge in the ogive section doesn't blow the grenade submunitions out the base of the projo. If you get enough submunitions you could make a cutaway projo. There is also a flat pusher plate you will need that goes on the top of the grenades in the projo, and a baseplate.
    ___HAZ/

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomf4 View Post
    A tractor trailer turned over by a buddies house friday night and it was full of cluster bombs and submunitions. all inert and heading for the scrap yard. so i managed to get some stuff i think i'll get more.
    Now that's really lucky for you (not the tractor driver), well done!!!!!!!! Great photos.

Dave.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    His Ordnance actually did "fall off the back of a truck" Hey phantomf4, you with the mafia?
    ___HAZ/

Thanks
    Naw no mafia here, but i did see some sheet metal plates your talking about. i'll go back tommorrow and get me some more, see if i can piece together one. there were thousands of the artillery clusters.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    The "Pusher" plate will be about 3/8" thick, usually with an "O" ring around it to protect the grenades from the expulsion charge. It will fit snugly inside the projectile body and works like a piston to push the grenades out. They usually have circular marks on the grenade side, where the columns of grenades make contact. The base plates will have external threads and will screw into the bottom of the projectile body. There will also be some hollow pipe pieces the same diameter as the grenade, that fit on top of the top grenade in each column to protect the fuze from the pusher plate. Also look for wedge shaped plastic pieces. They act as spacers between the round columns of grenades. Finally there are some aluminum keys that engage a lengthwise groove inside the projectile. They keep all the grenades from spinning inside the projectile body when it is fired and rotating towards the target.

Good luck!
    ___HAZ/

Images
    Thanks

ordnance chicks beer

Hi phantomf4, Must be a dream, you couldn't write a script any more perfect. Only thing to make it better would have been if scantilly clad horny women fell out of truck with ordnance (of course these chicks have all the beer you can drink too). I think I would S.M.P. if a truck overturned and ordnance came a tumbling out. Nice stuff too, you lucky dog...Dano

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dano1917 View Post
    Hi phantomf4, Must be a dream, you couldn't write a script any more perfect. Only thing to make it better would have been if scantilly clad horny women fell out of truck with ordnance (of course these chicks have all the beer you can drink too). I think I would S.M.P. if a truck overturned and ordnance came a tumbling out. Nice stuff too, you lucky dog...Dano
    You know what i was so damn excited i forgot to look for beer clad women i'm goin back and i'll try to get a picture of the pile, hopefully there not cleaning it up yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast