What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dwg. for TonyE (303in.)

poltewerke

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Herewith a misc. drawing, special for old mate Tony Edwards, plus any other members who are into Brit. SAA. Regards, Ron.

Attachments

• Hard copy images.jpg
    Hard copy images.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 60
Drawing

Thanks a lot, Ron. I will add it to those I already have from this period, including the .256", .276" and the 7.92mm.

Regards
Tony

Hi Poltewerke & TonyE,
Any ideas which experimental rifle the drawing refers to? thought It may have been the s.m.l.e VI/Mk1 No4 but checked in my bible(by Ian Skennerton,no less!) but it predates the drawing date of 1937?
Regards Tony

.303 Rimless

The rifle would have been a modified Pattern 14, although the exact configuration had not been decided. There were over 650,000 P.14s in store and it was intended to use these as a basis of the new infantry rifle. Designs were produced by both Enfield and Soley, a private company.

In the event, with WW2 about to break out, the project was abandoned and insted the P.14s were put through the Weedon Repair Standard and used in the original .303 calibre.

Picture shows the rifle converted by Soley.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• P14CondSoley.jpg
    P14CondSoley.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 21
Thanks TonyE,
Wonder why they went back to mid mounted rear sight,as both the P14 & No 1 Mk V had rear mounted appature sights?
Cheers Tony

P.14

That was only one pattern of rifle produced by Soley. There is no certainty that they would not hve actually used an aperture sight had the project gone forward.

Regards
TonyE