What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30x170mm

Charlie

Staff member
Premium Member
CLOSED CLOSED CLOSED

MOVED TOhttp://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/30-x-170mm-t52837.html?t=52837

About a third through cataloguing the collection and thought I’d share the index so far. Each round has an A4 page on it, this is only the index, so not possible to upload here.

Sorry mods, have had to use photobucket as i just cant get the images small enough.

p.s. have a few numbers without any round attached to them, so if anyone has any 30x170mm examples they'd like to swap for cash I’m listening :)

All the best,

Charlie

MOVED TOhttp://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/30-x-170mm-t52837.html?t=52837

Last edited:
Very nice and very well organised Charlie.
Thanks for showing them.
Dave.

Thanks Dave, Taking longer than expected! It's one of those jobs that i've been meaning to do for over a year now, and the job just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Not that i'm complaining though :)

Outstanding.I just recently began my colletion of 30mm.Gave me some idea of the variety.Thanks
I absolutly love 0016

Nice collection....

I am looking for a projectile to complete my (only and lonely) 30mm Rarden case....

Just so people have a size comparison...... .50 BMG round is on the left :tinysmile_eyebrow_t

Attachments

• IMG_1885.jpg
    IMG_1885.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1886.JPG
    IMG_1886.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1887.JPG
    IMG_1887.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
It looks like battle damage, the case is squashed and the projectile is split. It has been subjected to an immense pressure.

Charlie, 30 x 170mm. cannon.

Charlie, any chance of some info on the following? - 0008 & 0013 case headstamp markings. Do you have spare nose fuse (L85? for a swap) 0024. Case headstamp for item 0043. l think 0075 & 0079 are Kynoch exptl. primer designs for pre RARDEN case. Why no operational APDS, can't believe you do not have one when you have such a comp. collection. Best regards, RonB. P.S. hope this makes some kind of sense.

Last edited:
INDEX UPDATED 23.08.09 (think i'm about half way through now)

Ron;
0008 - APSE minus balistic cap. Case is not matched with projectile.
0013 - TP T Export to Spain Headstamp "30mmAFV 00 RG 002" RO.673 Primer.
0024 - Instructional HE Headstamp "30mmAFV 88 RG 373" L17A2 Primer.

instHE.jpg

0043 - 1942 trials Headstamp "30mm RLB 1942 LOT 1"
0075 - Headstamp "30mm AFV 79 RG 166"
0079 - Headstamp "30mm AFV 83 RG 3080"

Sorry Ron, Even I haven't managed to find an L86 fuse except for the instructional one!?

Hope the above info helps.

Best regards,

Charlie

Charlie,

Really nice "exploded" view. Hey, what is the background underneath the projo, with the grid lines on it? It works great.

30 x 170mm.

Thats a real fantastic collection - just love the HE/T round. Many thanks for the data. Cheers, Ron.

Number 63 question.

Charlie, firstly congratulations on such an excellent collection :tinysmile_shy_t:

What is the projectile in round number 63 please ?

Hi Chris, It's a L18A? TP T except the body of the projectile has been chemically blackened rather than painted as in 0049 & 0050 ?!

Last night for a change to whole rounds i thought i'd start to tackle the crate load of experimental cases and it's amazing what you discover. There’s some cracking ones with pressure test holes and info written on the side. They are from testing different propellants and quantities of such for the APDS round in 1983.

C.