What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm Instructional fuze and projectile

MG34NZ

This followed me home on Saturday, its a 105mm projectile with an instructional fuze, sadly the bulk of the yellow text from the projectile body is gone ,these are a mystery to me so can anyone enlighten me as to what it is? is grey for instructional items? or is it a standard round inerted for instructional purposes?
Thanks
MG34NZ

Attachments

• 3de7.jpg
    3de7.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 120
  • c6c3.jpg
    c6c3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 5763.jpg
    5763.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 83
Para Illum Vs Bae Eject Smoke shell ?

Well it is a nice item but not a High Explosive shell.
The base will unscrew (Left hand thread) to reveal two "slip" plates and most likely a hollow shell.
As to whether it is a "Parachute Illuminating" round or a "Base Ejecting Smoke" round you may not be able to fully determine although the "Smoke" shells tend to have a longer parallel section to take more smoke canisters as it only requires a small "ejection charge" in a reduced diameter cavity at the nose.

Look at the body stampings as they will usually say;
SMK
PI

Well it is a nice item but not a High Explosive shell.
The base will unscrew (Left hand thread) to reveal two "slip" plates and most likely a hollow shell.
As to whether it is a "Parachute Illuminating" round or a "Base Ejecting Smoke" round you may not be able to fully determine although the "Smoke" shells tend to have a longer parallel section to take more smoke canisters as it only requires a small "ejection charge" in a reduced diameter cavity at the nose.

Look at the body stampings as they will usually say;
SMK
PI

Hi Chris, thanks for the info.
Body stamping that I can find reads LOT SIL-21-01-88 105mm M34

MG34NZ

Your projectile is most likely an M84 Base Ejection Smoke projectile. The time fuze usually functions with the projo over the target, and it kicks out some smoke producing cans that fall to the ground. Either the stamp didn't hit on the left side of the 8 and it looks like a 3 or it might be filled with paint. It is a basic 105 howitzer round, used since before WWII. They are also used for carrying propaganda leaflets.

Attachments

• 105mm H M84.jpg
    105mm H M84.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 105H M84 Data1.jpg
    105H M84 Data1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 105 H M84 data 2.jpg
    105 H M84 data 2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Hi all,
I have a little problem.
Yesterday, I have picked up a 105mm shell, apparently M84. All the docs I've found said me that it was equipped with a mechanical time fuze (see data above).
Mine is equipped with a serie M54 TSQ fuze (pyrotechnical train).
Have someone an idea of this combination ? I know that the Smk M84B1 was used as Leaflet projo. Is that the solution ?

Pictures shall come later !

Yoda

Yoda,
I'm not near my documents right now, but your fuze may be fine. The M84 has been around for quite a few years, the TM you show is TM 43-0001-28 and normally they only list current fuzes acceptable for use with the projectile. If the fuze you have was from an earlier time and is now obsolete, it may not be listed anymore, even though it could have been correct for the time of loading. I do not know what date your document is from, but I think I have one from the 1970s, I will try and check it later when I get more time, unless someone else beats me to it.

Hello

The (WWII) smoke shell was used with M54 fuze, indeed we often found this kind of combination.
DSCF6481.jpgDSCF6478.jpgDSCF6483.jpgschema.jpgtexte.jpgtexte obus fumee verte BE.jpg