What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To paint or not to paint that is the question ?

F

Fuzeman

to paint or not to paint that is the question

Attachments

• Bomb painting and hermann 1985 sheffield 001.jpg
    Bomb painting and hermann 1985 sheffield 001.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 57
Well, personally, and that's definitely what we're discussing here, I wouldnt say "Not No Never Noway", but I wouldn't be far from that. Roughly speaking, these are the rules I apply to my tank ordnance:-

1. If there is any amount of original paint or markings remaining - Absolutely no repainting.
  2. If any new paint might have the chance of reacting with any material that makes up the round - Absolutely no repainting.
  3. If the round is rare - Absolutely no repainting.
  4. If the round has a terrible "NEW" paint job - strip, preserve and leave bare, or strip, repaint with researched markings and colour and even polish case if desired
  5. If the round is rusted - Give "long" phosphoric acid dip, preserve and leave bare.
  6. If the round is rusted and has some original paint - Give "Short and Vigilant" phosphoric acid dip and preserve.
  7. If the round is bare and rusted - NEVER Add filler
  8. If the case has a dull patina - NEVER polish
  9. Here's my one contradiction - If the round is Common and the wife doesn't like "ugly" ordnance - Consider repaint and polish if it this gains a "public" viewing spot. :eek:
  10. If the round has unwanted fired driving bands or no driving bands at all - Rebanding is permissable, so long as its not to deceive potential buyer.
Obviously, desicisions here are very personal, but these are just my thoughts on the subject.

Rich

I at least try and give the item a good clean up (to a certain point) if its in a relic state, so it looks at bit decent for display until a better replacement comes along.

To paint or not to paint

Hi all thought provoking isnt it , the picture is from a French bomb factory where they bombs are coated.
None of my fuzes are repainted except about 2 which were to cover corrosion, i prefer to leave as is where possible.