What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Polish F1 Type Grenade

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Just bought this Polish ? F1 type grenade...can anyone explain the paint markings etc please..
please feel free to add more info and photos of this type
thanks in advance spotter

Attachments

• DSC00094.JPG
    DSC00094.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC00097.JPG
    DSC00097.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00099.JPG
    DSC00099.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 80
Off hand those appear to be the markings for a practice grenade.

hmm...
Are some signatures on bottom of grenade?
Maybe, this is a polish F1 from rifle grenade F1-N-60...

there is something stamped into the bottom but part is missing ,it does not look like an F its more like the bottom part of the letter R,or K or X then a no 1

also has what looks like a no31 stamped int the front

Last edited:
On the bottom, should be number lot, year, and number manufactured filling up.
On body grenade, be found number manufactured - production - 31 (cold war)

The fuze is not for this grenade, but for a practice (red stripe) with bottom open. This grenade is with black fuze with white stripe.

Attachments

• polonia F1 CW.JPG
    polonia F1 CW.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 54
  • polonia F1 SK.JPG
    polonia F1 SK.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 52
Hi Spotter
Lettering ĆWICZ means that this is training grenade, red strip also means training purpose anyway the fuse type UZRGM has some explosives namely black powder.
UZRGM means universal fuse for hand grenades, the last letter M means modified (I'm not sure).
Cheers mate

Ok, ok!

Polish Grenades Colours:

BLACK (or green) body with RED stripes on body and on the end of fuze lever, with stamp CWICZ (cwiczebny) = practice with bottom open to exaust the smoke of practice charge.

GREEN body with WHITE stripes on body and fuze lever, with stamp SZK (szkolny) = classroom tryining with the bottom closed.

GREY-BLACK body with stamp TRENINGOWY and, sometime, WHITE stripe, black SZK fuze = throwing practice

Others combination of colours are wrong!

Hi Francesco,

I do completly confirm this markings on Polish grenades and want to add:
1. F1-classroom-trainers have always a white horizntal ring around the center and sometimes an additional vertical white stripe on front- and rear-side.
2. Bottom of classroom-trainers has no hole.
3. F1-practice with training-charge for sound and flash, Ive seen black bodies with red horizontal ring, olive-drab bodies with red horizontal ring, but also olive-drab bodies without other paint-marks, all three version do incooperate a hole in the grenade-bottom
4. Polish F1-grenade-bodies could be sometimes (first years after WW2) Russian-production with Polish-made fuze, but mostly Polish-made grenade-bodies from "early-type" which does have fragmentation-grooves also in the grenade-"neck" and "-bottom". This early type has on one side on the upper fragmentation-row a cast-in mark which is an standing oval ring with a number inside and at the opposite side at the corresponding spot the letters "PFA" (many times filled with paint, and hard to find).
The newer Polish-made F1-bodies do not have a serrated "neck" and do carry the factory-cast-in mark on one side around the center, aslo an oval ring with the number 31 inside, but here the ring is hrizontal (laying) and no other factory-marks.
5. Note that the thread of fuzes for classroom-trainers and practice-versions are slightly different in size

Note: all issues had been seen on 100% INERT (FFE) items only, which had been already in this INERT condition.

Hi I know this is an old thread but it's help shine some light on the markings fuzes and correct levers
I have a deactivated czechoslovakian F1
And a Polish practice green body red band , both have the correct safety levers

Thanks Ken

Attachments

• 2017-03-01 11.30.53.jpg
    2017-03-01 11.30.53.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 2017-03-01 11.28.52.jpg
    2017-03-01 11.28.52.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 2017-03-01 11.29.47.jpg
    2017-03-01 11.29.47.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 2017-02-28 13.57.33.jpg
    2017-02-28 13.57.33.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 2017-03-01 11.28.20.jpg
    2017-03-01 11.28.20.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 2017-03-01 11.26.34.jpg
    2017-03-01 11.26.34.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 32
On the czech grenade:
irv - manufacturers code - Zeveta Bojkovice
12/69 lot 12 of 1969
T - TNT filled lot 6 / 1951

Lever UZRGM fuze lot 4 from 1971 made in Zeveta Bojkovice.

Bob

The fuze is not for this grenade, but for a practice (red stripe) with bottom open. This grenade is with black fuze with white stripe.

I just checked my Polish training F1s - I also have the same configuration as SPOTTER; not saying this is 'correct' though, bought at War & Peace some years ago (think seller was Dutch?) where bodies may have been matched with incorrect fuzes?

I have:
- green body open bottom - red stripe with bare metal fuze with red stripe
- one as SPOTTER's above - green body white cross stripe with black fuze with red stripe,
- one black body (no stripe - showing green paint underneath) - stamped on base 'SZK' - with black fuze with red stripe
- and this interesting one: open bottom, very well worn so that bare metal shows (well-used for throwing practice I guess) but looks like was painted green, with white stripe painted over a red stripe - traces of white paint stripe in recessed codes on lever, which is again stamped 'SZK', plus 'Szkoine', with section on bottom row body filed away and stamped '1492 104'

Last edited: