What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sd50 Tail Fin Restoration

Just a quick update, I have now stripped the fins back to what I think is an original primer. There is evidence of deep scratching which I presume is damage sustained from the impact. I am now contemplating the next stage which is to repair or reconstruct the missing section on the skirt of the fin unit.

Will keep you posted.

Attachments

• DSCF5840.jpg
    DSCF5840.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF5841.jpg
    DSCF5841.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF5842.jpg
    DSCF5842.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 30
Well they look way better with all that green off.
Any chance of a pic with the rest of the case too? It may jog more ideas of repair once the other lads see it together.
Best of luck with the project. :)

waff

Just a quick update, I have now stripped the fins back to what I think is an original primer. There is evidence of deep scratching which I presume is damage sustained from the impact. I am now contemplating the next stage which is to repair or reconstruct the missing section on the skirt of the fin unit.

Will keep you posted.

Some more thoughts:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

I know this is going to be a bit fiddly but if you get sections of malable wire,only a very thin diameter will do,then drill a series of holes into the edges were the damage has occured,then you can form a frame work to fill in the missing peice of sleeve.
you could make a chess board pattern which would help you lay the matting on to something solid.

Once you have bridged the gap then you can raise the thicknesses with the body filler,and start the re shaping process.

That would definately work,and would be pretty strong to.

Nice to see all that horrible green gone:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Best phil

Hi, Sorry this took longer than anticipated, pics of the Sd50 tail and casing together as requested. There is further stripping required on the casing (I am taking the paint off layer by layer until I reach a finish I am happy with). Not sure whether to repaint this bomb or not. Next I will post some pics of a 50kg bomb lifting eye, this one was dug up by a friend many years ago at a crash site and is rather bent.

Attachments

• DSCF5848.jpg
    DSCF5848.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF5849.jpg
    DSCF5849.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 40
Hello Satan,

Good idea, I plan to use an aluminium section insert, I think I will as you suggest add some rods for extra strength then I plan to use some paste weld which is very strong and then make up the inside with filler. A bit of an experiment that may or may not work. Will keep you posted.

Some more thoughts:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

I know this is going to be a bit fiddly but if you get sections of malable wire,only a very thin diameter will do,then drill a series of holes into the edges were the damage has occured,then you can form a frame work to fill in the missing peice of sleeve.
you could make a chess board pattern which would help you lay the matting on to something solid.

Once you have bridged the gap then you can raise the thicknesses with the body filler,and start the re shaping process.

That would definately work,and would be pretty strong to.

Nice to see all that horrible green gone:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Best phil

Here is the lifting eye, it is rather bent from the impact of the crash. The first pic shows how it was before cleaning, the second pic after some careful thread cleaning.

I was originally going to straighten it with some heat but have since decided to leave as is. I think it will be more in keeping with the casing which has obviously been dropped and defused. That way it will look more like a UXB rather than a brand new bomb. What do you lot think?

Attachments

• DSCF5844.jpg
    DSCF5844.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF5847.jpg
    DSCF5847.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hi, Sorry this took longer than anticipated, pics of the Sd50 tail and casing together as requested. There is further stripping required on the casing (I am taking the paint off layer by layer until I reach a finish I am happy with). Not sure whether to repaint this bomb or not. Next I will post some pics of a 50kg bomb lifting eye, this one was dug up by a friend many years ago at a crash site and is rather bent.

its looking better allready rockteer

regards lee