What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest Mills plug

plug

Hi
Some plugs N5 bras & aluminium
See the N5 with central Screwing hole for fixing rode like N23 grenade

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 74
Hi Doc
you have some nice plugs there. in particular the brass ones, especially the No 5 with the hole for the rod. However the top 5 are repros, i have some identical ones here, all recently made.
Andy

Here is a brass plug made by Mills Munitions dated 9/15 with the 4 patent nos showing.

Attachments

• Picture 479.jpg
    Picture 479.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 32
plug

Hi
yes my aluminium plug are repro (in my first post) stocked in didactic museum
Here original aluminium and brass types
On external right of alu plug the date is 7/1915, above 9/15

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 53
Interesting Fake

Hello,

I'm guessing that this one is fake :tinysmile_hmm_t2: ??

Attachments

• ulster%201a.jpg
    ulster%201a.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 42
  • ulster%201b.jpg
    ulster%201b.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 31
  • ulster%201c.jpg
    ulster%201c.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Hi Ben,

yes its a fake, far too early as Mills Munitions would have been making all the early grens, including the plugs. Hope you didnt pay too much for it. Well aged i see, made recently.

Andy

Thought so

I thought it must have been fake, but even as a fake it interested me. The seller who sells all sorts of relic items aparently purchased it in albert. I find it interesting that someone would go through the trouble of faking something that is so obviously fake?

The forgers of your Barbour plug got it so wrong in many ways. As Norman said earlier in the thread, Mills got the first contract in April 15, other companies in May 15 and in March only experimental ones were available. That alone shows how wrong your plug is. Also the Hand of Ulster is of totally the wrong shape having had an original one in my posession a few years ago. These forgers dont do themselves any favours making such rubbish by not getting the basic facts right.

Andy

Reviving an old thread because of the discussion about fake plugs.

Bought the one on the right at the weekend in France from the purveyor these fakes. He said "very rare, hard to get". I replied "Yes especially from Birminghan"

Like many fakers, working in another language is difficult.

Bryant's plugs are rare and I wonder if they copied it off Millsbomber's website. Here's my original and the rather newer one.

Anyway here is a photo for general amusement.

John

DSCN6449.jpg

I much prefer to find my own, that way I know that they are not fake. I have seen a number of well-rotted aluminium plugs and leave them there to continue rotting. I have a few aluminium plugs from WW2 and they have stood the test of time (and corrosion) quite well but some of the WW1 plugs in France are unsalvageable. Brass plugs are something else and well worth preserving. Doctor's collection was pretty good, I hadn't realised there were so many differences in design, let alone in manufacturers.

Yes the plugs are almost a study area in their own right. Tied into contract dates, there are many different types. As you say WW1 aluminium plugs don't last in the ground, neither do many of the cast iron Mk 23 MkII or later Mk IIIs.

Ha Ha ! Is that Biminghan-on-Sea ? :)

One thing that does strike me about my original Bryant's plug is that every number and letter looks to have been hand struck one at a time. They all seem to have a different weight and spacing. The majority of plugs look the have been done in one hit.

hello , don't what to make a new post for that so...
new plug with double stamp ..or date?.found this week .IMG_20181012_195411.jpgIMG_20181012_195424.jpg