Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

need help in ID and info

A friend gave this to me about 10 years ago. He said it was dropped from planes for practice. Anybody know what it is , how it functioned and if the colors are right? It weighs 35 lbs. and the orange shaft is solid steel.
    Thanks, frogbert
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by frogbert; 6th September 2009 at 04:57 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to frogbert For This Useful Post:

917601 (27th October 2020)

HONOURED MEMBER
    Thanks
    I've seen something like this in the US Air Force Armament Museum at Elgin AFB Florida, except that the top (i.e. the end with the fins on) had an antenna sticking out of it. I can't remember the correct designation but it was a remote sensor to detect movement. It was dropped over jungle in Viet Nam/Cambodia/Laos and embedded itself in the ground to detect movement of the Viet Cong along trails, etc. Is this a practice/development version of that device?

eodda

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 728 Posts
    As Eodda has said, the service unit was to be thrown from aircraft over vietcong traffic areas. The spike nose would stick in the ground and transmit signals when vibrations in the ground were detected.

They come in three different lengths and are usually painted jungle camo colors. Yours was most likely a test/practice version for evaluations, so it was painted orange for easy tracking and recovery. The intent for the service versions, was that no one was supposed to find them.

A close EOD source, (A friend and BOCN member) told me that some versions were boobytrapped to prevent the NVA/VC from tinkering with them.

John
    ___HAZ/
    _____/ORD Hazardous Ordnance Recognition
    ________Saving Lives Through Education

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HAZORD For This Useful Post:

917601 (27th October 2020)

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,814 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Hey John,
    just finishing up the last field day out east, be good to get back for a burger. The item you show is very similar to the ADSIDS family as described by others, there are actually at least three different groups with slightly different names. I have photos of most of them, your item is very similar, but may or may not be related. The AF let a lot of funny stuff fall off their airplanes.

As I say so frequently, don't repaint, odd colors may mean something. The colors you have here are not correct for a field version (if it is an ADSID) but the orange paint indicates that it free from explosive and range "recoverable". Some will tell you that orange means practice, but there is a difference. I'll try and dig up some photos later, it may have to wait until I get back to The Netherlands and my main database.

FYI - as part of the program there was also an 81mm mortar sensor and one released from a 155mm. I've got the 81, but only the trials dummy and cargo projo for the 155. As mentioned there are a couple of booby trapped versions, they are pretty close to 6' and smaller in diameter than what you have. JO
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

John D. Bartleson Jr.

Thanks
    Here are a few I have at home. The first photo is one of the most frequently seen, typical small version. The second was a variant which used an adapter and reverse mounted fins from a 90lb bomb for stabilization, the third is froma program similar to ADSIDs, its an XM146 terrain implantation device (HE charge), and finally the 81mm mortar delivered system. I cannot find a photo of the 155mm delivered version at the moment (called REMBASS) and its time to leave for the site. As mentioned, I have photos of most of the 2-3 series that were fielded, but it will have to wait a few days till I get back to HQ.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to US-Subs For This Useful Post:

917601 (27th October 2020), Dreamk (27th October 2020), MINENAZ16 (26th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanks guys for the info. Really helped me out.
    frogbert

Thanks
    As mentioned by EODDA, here are a few more examples, courtesy of the AF Armament Museum just outside of Eglin AFB, FL. They have signs in front of the different models, but on different visits I've seen the signs in different locations so without a reliable reference I'm not certain which is which. Regardless, the signs have good info and I've included them. Over the years I've seen a number of others, so this is just an example.

Thanks
    Here's the rest.

Thanks

Thumbs up Thanks!!

Thanks, US-Subs for all the info it really helped.
    frogbert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast