Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=US-Subs;105663]Here are a few I have at home. The first photo is . . . /snip/ . . and finally the 81mm mortar delivered system.
    I was deeply involved with the development, testing and fielding of the 81mm Mortar Delivered Sensor (MODS) XM123 AN/GSQ-136. I found a couple of posts regarding it herein. When I get a chance, I will comment on the photos and add all the details that I can remember - it has only been 42 years.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dnns_0227 For This Useful Post:

US-Subs (7th November 2012)

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,814 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Since the original posts I've managed to find a few more documents on some of the airdropped pieces, picked up a couple more designs for the collection and have expanded my database to where I've now got data or at least names on nearly 40 models of air, artillery, mortar and hand delivered sensors. It is shelved for the moment while I concentrate on some other areas, but this has turned out to be a very difficult type of ordnance to research. As with most of the hard stuff there is a lot of fluff bs information floating around (internet and books) and a lot of misunderrstood pieces. All part of the challenge. Any new info is always welcome, especially if you've got some photos or docs as well.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Ordnance Approved
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by US-Subs View Post
    Here are a few I have at home. The first photo is one of the most frequently seen, typical small version. The second was a variant which used an adapter and reverse mounted fins from a 90lb bomb for stabilization, the third is froma program similar to ADSIDs, its an XM146 terrain implantation device (HE charge), and finally the 81mm mortar delivered system. I cannot find a photo of the 155mm delivered version at the moment (called REMBASS) and its time to leave for the site. As mentioned, I have photos of most of the 2-3 series that were fielded, but it will have to wait a few days till I get back to HQ.

Hello,
    Bump this old thread.
    I have a question regarding XM146.
    Is it the HELOSID program (Helicopter Delivered Seismic Intrusion Detector) ?
    You talk about HE charge, I thought it was only an inert electronic device ?
    Regards

helosid xm146 diam 76mm.jpg
    Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by EOD personnel .

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,814 Times in 1,089 Posts
    I'd have to dig into the documents to see if I have any additional information on this one. Many of the series could be delivered by helicopter, jet, etc. There are pictures of the same models being thrown from helicopters, wing mounted on F4s and placed in multiple unit dispensers, so without detailed information on some of the programs it is difficult to categorize.

There were 2-3 of the sensors that had explosive charges built in as an anti-tamper device. These were typically the standard diameter, but much longer. I'm not sure if it was to keep people from disturbing or to destroy the sensitive electronics. Much of this program was highly classified at the time and still remains classified today. I have found references where the basic ADSID unit (Mod 14 or so) was used up to and through the Gulf war.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

6. The Following User Says Thank You to US-Subs For This Useful Post:

MINENAZ16 (26th October 2020)

Ordnance Approved
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Found this in a declassified pdf available online (only these 2 devices in bombs chapter)

XM146 2.jpgXM145 2.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MINENAZ16 View Post
    Found this in a declassified pdf available online (only these 2 devices in bombs chapter)
    For anyone who's interested in the aforementioned document, it's this one.

"High-Risk Munitions Identification Guide".

Can be found here.

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingr...000100020001-1

I've OCR'ed the version I have so I can at least search it.

Ordnance Approved
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Reading condidential [B-2-2-32] US BOMBS, XM145 (same appearance as inert ADSID) and XM146 (family of inert HELOSID) are radio transmitter but with high explosive charge (andistrubance, antipersonnel, self-destruct).

Ordnance Approved
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Another link for the Igloo White program (ACOUSID, ADSID, HELOSID, HANDSID, COMMIKE, SPIKESID, EDET...)

https://www.westin553.net/batcatPDF/...to_ch6_Apx.pdf

sensors.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12