What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help in ID and info

frogbert

A friend gave this to me about 10 years ago. He said it was dropped from planes for practice. Anybody know what it is , how it functioned and if the colors are right? It weighs 35 lbs. and the orange shaft is solid steel.
Thanks, frogbert

Attachments

• IMG00058.jpg
    IMG00058.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG00059.jpg
    IMG00059.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG00061.jpg
    IMG00061.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I've seen something like this in the US Air Force Armament Museum at Elgin AFB Florida, except that the top (i.e. the end with the fins on) had an antenna sticking out of it. I can't remember the correct designation but it was a remote sensor to detect movement. It was dropped over jungle in Viet Nam/Cambodia/Laos and embedded itself in the ground to detect movement of the Viet Cong along trails, etc. Is this a practice/development version of that device?

eodda

As Eodda has said, the service unit was to be thrown from aircraft over vietcong traffic areas. The spike nose would stick in the ground and transmit signals when vibrations in the ground were detected.

They come in three different lengths and are usually painted jungle camo colors. Yours was most likely a test/practice version for evaluations, so it was painted orange for easy tracking and recovery. The intent for the service versions, was that no one was supposed to find them.

A close EOD source, (A friend and BOCN member) told me that some versions were boobytrapped to prevent the NVA/VC from tinkering with them.

John

Hey John,
just finishing up the last field day out east, be good to get back for a burger. The item you show is very similar to the ADSIDS family as described by others, there are actually at least three different groups with slightly different names. I have photos of most of them, your item is very similar, but may or may not be related. The AF let a lot of funny stuff fall off their airplanes.

As I say so frequently, don't repaint, odd colors may mean something. The colors you have here are not correct for a field version (if it is an ADSID) but the orange paint indicates that it free from explosive and range "recoverable". Some will tell you that orange means practice, but there is a difference. I'll try and dig up some photos later, it may have to wait until I get back to The Netherlands and my main database.

FYI - as part of the program there was also an 81mm mortar sensor and one released from a 155mm. I've got the 81, but only the trials dummy and cargo projo for the 155. As mentioned there are a couple of booby trapped versions, they are pretty close to 6' and smaller in diameter than what you have. JO

Here are a few I have at home. The first photo is one of the most frequently seen, typical small version. The second was a variant which used an adapter and reverse mounted fins from a 90lb bomb for stabilization, the third is froma program similar to ADSIDs, its an XM146 terrain implantation device (HE charge), and finally the 81mm mortar delivered system. I cannot find a photo of the 155mm delivered version at the moment (called REMBASS) and its time to leave for the site. As mentioned, I have photos of most of the 2-3 series that were fielded, but it will have to wait a few days till I get back to HQ.

Attachments

• DSC_0144 (2).jpg
    DSC_0144 (2).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 74
  • ADSID Variant.jpg
    ADSID Variant.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0047.jpg
    DSC_0047.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 81mm XM123 AN-GSQ-136 Sensor.jpg
    81mm XM123 AN-GSQ-136 Sensor.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 78
As mentioned by EODDA, here are a few more examples, courtesy of the AF Armament Museum just outside of Eglin AFB, FL. They have signs in front of the different models, but on different visits I've seen the signs in different locations so without a reliable reference I'm not certain which is which. Regardless, the signs have good info and I've included them. Over the years I've seen a number of others, so this is just an example.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 39
Here's the rest.

Attachments

• 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 20
Here are a few I have at home. The first photo is . . . /snip/ . . and finally the 81mm mortar delivered system.
I was deeply involved with the development, testing and fielding of the 81mm Mortar Delivered Sensor (MODS) XM123 AN/GSQ-136. I found a couple of posts regarding it herein. When I get a chance, I will comment on the photos and add all the details that I can remember - it has only been 42 years.

Since the original posts I've managed to find a few more documents on some of the airdropped pieces, picked up a couple more designs for the collection and have expanded my database to where I've now got data or at least names on nearly 40 models of air, artillery, mortar and hand delivered sensors. It is shelved for the moment while I concentrate on some other areas, but this has turned out to be a very difficult type of ordnance to research. As with most of the hard stuff there is a lot of fluff bs information floating around (internet and books) and a lot of misunderrstood pieces. All part of the challenge. Any new info is always welcome, especially if you've got some photos or docs as well.

Here are a few I have at home. The first photo is one of the most frequently seen, typical small version. The second was a variant which used an adapter and reverse mounted fins from a 90lb bomb for stabilization, the third is froma program similar to ADSIDs, its an XM146 terrain implantation device (HE charge), and finally the 81mm mortar delivered system. I cannot find a photo of the 155mm delivered version at the moment (called REMBASS) and its time to leave for the site. As mentioned, I have photos of most of the 2-3 series that were fielded, but it will have to wait a few days till I get back to HQ.

Hello,
Bump this old thread.
I have a question regarding XM146.
Is it the HELOSID program (Helicopter Delivered Seismic Intrusion Detector) ?
You talk about HE charge, I thought it was only an inert electronic device ?
Regards

helosid xm146 diam 76mm.jpg

I'd have to dig into the documents to see if I have any additional information on this one. Many of the series could be delivered by helicopter, jet, etc. There are pictures of the same models being thrown from helicopters, wing mounted on F4s and placed in multiple unit dispensers, so without detailed information on some of the programs it is difficult to categorize.

There were 2-3 of the sensors that had explosive charges built in as an anti-tamper device. These were typically the standard diameter, but much longer. I'm not sure if it was to keep people from disturbing or to destroy the sensitive electronics. Much of this program was highly classified at the time and still remains classified today. I have found references where the basic ADSID unit (Mod 14 or so) was used up to and through the Gulf war.

Found this in a declassified pdf available online (only these 2 devices in bombs chapter)

XM146 2.jpgXM145 2.jpg

Reading condidential [B-2-2-32] US BOMBS, XM145 (same appearance as inert ADSID) and XM146 (family of inert HELOSID) are radio transmitter but with high explosive charge (andistrubance, antipersonnel, self-destruct).