What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nose stake for SD50

lexpev

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
cleaned this rare item today, which funny enough is the same day it got recovered. It's "lucky me" day today I guess.
German SD50 nose stake that screws onto the nose of the 50kilo bomb.
Total length is 612mm, Tube diameter is 40mm and the cup with the threaded bolt in the middle is 90mm in diameter.

I'm sure there you can help getting good info on it.
I only have a small US text and pic on similar tubes.

Who has more info?

Regards, Lex

Attachments

• S7305259.jpg
    S7305259.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 106
  • S7305260.jpg
    S7305260.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 83
And two closer pics from before it got cleaned

Attachments

• S7305258.jpg
    S7305258.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 39
  • S7305257.jpg
    S7305257.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 35
Well here is one for the SD 50 and 70, the cup is a litle bigger then yours.

Attachments

• 487.jpg
    487.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 116
Wow Lex! Thats a great find!
Was that the stake that worked in conjunction with a version of a type 55 fuze so it exploded above ground?
best

waff

Hi Blu97,
is there anything in the prof-collection similar to this?
Were they much used?
I have had it aside a (top part of) SD50 and when I imagine it screwed down, the cup has a tight fit to the bomb. Variety in sizes by manufacturer's choice?

To Waff,
I have no idea what fuzes this stake would be used with.
I'll try to distract you with a beer when you ask me about bombfuzes, I'm clueless on those...

Lex

the threaded plug, housed in the cup of the stake, is here touching the normal screw in the top of a 50kilo SD bomb.

Attachments

• stake.jpg
    stake.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 106
Lex,im almost ceratin there was a version of a Stabo that used a nose-switch to activate the fuze on impact?
I shall have a look around in some of my books. :)

best
waff

Hi Lex, we don't have it in our collection so if you find another one...
I have no idea if the where used much.
greetings erik.

A lot of this sticks were used on the eastern front ,Russian because of the mud and during the winter that the bomb dont go into the mud it was to explode over ground level !!
this item is called ''Dinort stick '' the name was given of the founder a german Pilot ''Oskar Dinort ''
it was mostly used against infanterie and light armored vehicles !!
It was often used in russian winter, because of the heavy snow fall the normal bombs are not working properly !!
i slightly disadvantage was this kind of bomb with stick could only trown than from a airplane in which the bombs are stored horizontal not for example the He 111 in which the bombs are stored vertical !!!

The US airfore still use this type of spacer in the ,,Daisy cutter bomb with the M82 Bomb fuse !!!

best regards David

Last edited by a moderator:
Safely in my collection Now, just in case any one wondered what happened to it,,,,,,,, Thanks Lex ,,,,,,,,Dave