What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WWII 7.92mm Ammunition Box

edstorey

BOCN Supporter
Here are some images of a German 7.92mm Ammunition Box that I was given early in 2008.

The box had been in the posession of a WWII Veteran who used it to store his shooting supplies. Considering the age of the box and how it had been used as storeage for the past 65 years, it was still in remarkably good good shape and makes an interesting comparison to how the Allies shipped service ammunition.

792mmAmmunitionBox-sideviewshowingm.jpg

792mmAmmunitionBox-markings.jpg

792mmAmmunitionBox-endmarkings.jpg

792mmAmmunitionBox-insidelabel.jpg

Realy nice !!

relay nice good conditons !!

This ammo box was called in the german Wehrmacht Patronenkasten 88
It was also used earlier in WW1 !!

Best regards David

Ammo Maker

I thought you might like a translation of the contents of the box.

It contained 1500 7.92 sS (schwere Spitzgeschoss - heavy ball) rounds loaded by P.340, and the red overstamp is "For Rifles"

P.340 was Metallwerke Silberhutte G.m.b.H., St.Andreasberg i/ Harz as Lot 8 of 1940.

The powder is normal German rifle nitro-cellulose flake with dimensions of 2 x 2 x 0.45mm and is Lot 98 of 1939.

The rounds had steel cases and both cases and bullets were also made by P.340

The primers (Zdh -Zundhutchen) are the Zdh.88 made by Deutsche Waffen Und Munitions Fabriken in 1940 also.

...and as the date stamp tells you, it was packed on 18th July 1940.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Great item,pictures and write up.
Thanks Gents. I have one of these in my collection but didnt have much info on it.

cheers

waff

Thats a nice one and has the cart. container '88' marked in upper right-hand corner as in photo 3. Ron. lt a ''inhouse'' manufactured munitions also, and used before in 1936?

Last edited:
Thats a nice one and has the cart. container '88' marked in upper right-hand corner as in photo 3. Ron. lt's a ''inhouse'' manufactured munitions also, and used before in 1936?
No, l'm wrong, its a virgin packing and does not look like its been used for packing at a previous period. Nice item - love German WW2 labels.

Box Information

David, Tony:

Thank you for the information, I have certainly learned a lot today!

ED

case 88

Hi all.

Each case 88 contained 5x large cardboard packs filled with 300 rnds in each large pack. 300 rnds were packed in each large pack in smaller cardboard packets containing 15 rnds in each (20 packets per large packet).

Attachments

• 15 rnd packets.jpg
    15 rnd packets.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 49