What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9mm Rocket-British-German-Other

Lewis

I am working on an article for the IAA Journal on the 11 9mm Walther "Rockets" found by Col Jarrett in Walthers desk in 1945, and the related German and other 9mm "Rocket" cartridges that were related. This is a follow-on to a lecture I gave on the subject at SLICS 2007.

These were probably not actually rocket cartridges but caseless cartridges useing the Langweiler impulse-propulsion principle.

The British were involved in this effort from the first discovery, and between 1945 and 1947 conducted their own program. Peter Labbett mentioned this cartridge. There were actually two variations, and Peter only covered the one that was given the more serious attention. I have posted the source data I have on this effort on a hidden page on my website. i think some will enjoy this. The URL is:

http://gigconceptsinc.com/Rocket-British-1a1d.html

I also expect to add a document soon on the debriefing of Langweiler by Capt Pollard which may provide more information on the German effort.

I'm posting this here for three reasons.

1. Capt Pollard mentions that the British had an English translation of Langeweiler's 1939 paper on his impulse-propulsion principle. Apparently this translation was actually done by a Canadian team. I have searched for this translation or the original paper without success. Does anyone have or know where I would look for a copy of the Langweiler 1939 paper.

2. Has anyone seen, heard of, or possessed one of these British "Rocket" cartridges in 9mm?? They clearly existed-and in greater quantity than the well known US Navy 9mm "Rocket" but as far as I can tell, none survived. This is not surprising since they basically look like the little thing that is used to hold a lamp shade in place so are unlikely to have created much interest to the casual observer.

3. Do any of the Forum members have any additional data related to either the German or British (or for that matter the French, Czech, Russian or Argentine Rocket work in 9mm) or similar rocket work by anyone else??? I am interested in documention, specimens, reports of specimens. I am trying to document what is out there. I am confident a number of the German rocket rounds came back to England (HEC in Seven Oaks, Kent) and all are unaccounted for except perhaps one.

Any help appreciated. Eventually I will share everything I know on the website, connected into the mail page. I will probably do this about six months after the article appears in the IAA Journal (likely as a two part article).

Thanks in advance for your help.

German, 9mm. ''S'' geshoss

Hi, l have posted to-day two photo's of said projectiles recovered by allied investigators. l will try to send images of two plus drawing by CEAD. Cheers, RonB. P.S. Will see what l have, no doubt it duplicates your info. re. lmpulse theory etc.? For specimens - try Bill Woodin, Tucson, AZ. USA.

Attachments

• WASAG..jpg
    WASAG..jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 45
  • WASAG. 001.jpg
    WASAG. 001.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 44
  • ADEN & misc. 011.jpg
    ADEN & misc. 011.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Poltewerke,

Thanks for the photos. I had taken photos of the photos of the two boards at the IWM back in the mid-1970s, but your photos are better than mine. The British drawing came with the file of stuff with the original Pollard report. I appreciate this material.

I have photographed and measured all of Bill W's rockets-legit and fake in his fake collection. Thanks for the help.

Lew

lmpulse theory.

OK., Lew you seem to have been very busy over the years. Did you get any info from Herbie W. and do you want me to see what l have? although it will probably dup your own. May have some odds and sods buried about the place, never know. Good hunting, regards, Ron Bridges.PS. l dont think Tony Edwards will mind me saying that he has info on this 9mm. Sonder - geschoss ?

Last edited:
The material Herb gave mw many years ago is all posted on the web page listed in the original message. You can see most of the material I have by going through this page to the approprate country. I don't have the US Navy info up yet.

http://gigconceptsinc.com/Rocket-Index-1a1a.html.

I would be greatly interested in anything else you may be able to add.

I am in touch with Tony.

Thanks for the help.

Lew