What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All of my Japanese stuff...

Since I cant seem to post in classifies, I figured I would post here..
This is all of the Japanese stuff that was in my attic.. Obviously the spoils of war... I was really intrigued by the wallets, they were stuffed with money, most like brand new.. Imperial notes at that, not Occupation money..

will have to post a couple times to fit it all in...

Attachments

• ID book2.jpg
    ID book2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Jap notes1b.jpg
    Jap notes1b.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Jap notes2b.jpg
    Jap notes2b.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 40
  • knives1.jpg
    knives1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 56
  • ID book1.jpg
    ID book1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 41
and more....

Attachments

• Nambu2.jpg
    Nambu2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Nambu3.jpg
    Nambu3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 46
  • Bayonet1.jpg
    Bayonet1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Wallets1.jpg
    Wallets1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Wallets2.jpg
    Wallets2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 43
and now the flags.....

Attachments

• flag1.jpg
    flag1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 35
  • flag4.jpg
    flag4.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 29
  • flag3.jpg
    flag3.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 24
  • flag2.jpg
    flag2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 23
  • flag1b.jpg
    flag1b.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 31
fantastic items mate.
As a show of respect i wouldnt rest untill i have tracked down the family of the man in the passbook.

Its quite a haunting set of stuff,especially the teeth.

I knew a mate that had a Nazi gold ring from his Grandad (grandad was a Nazi) and this was said to be made from Gold fillings from a certain concentration camp.
yuck

He destroyed it, as he felt it was imoral and disrespectfull to trade in such items.

I agreed.

The flags,teeth and personal dagger might have come from the chap in the photos and could have been killed by your Grandad maybe?

I find these items VERY interesting but tragic too,there just a bit too personal for me.

If I had them,I would keep them
-especially as they were your Grandads,he kept them for a reason,if you sell any of his stuff then the objects become just 'objects' without a story.

Thats my opinion only mate

Family history

I myself am not interested in collecting Japanese WWII stuff unless grenades, but did want to comment on what a nice array of Japanese militaria you have there. I don't know much about flags but well imagine they're worth a small fortune (by my standards) especially the big flag. how could one even consider letting such family heirlooms go is beyond me. These are things that I would think best passed down from generation to generation. But that's me. good luck in whatever you decide to do with the stuff...Dano

Hi. You have some great looking items there. Most of the quality items you find on the collectors market were brought home by someones grand dad, so don't feel bad about selling them. It would improve the historic value of the items if you could include the service record of your grand dad with them.

Dano, Jap flags etc look good with your grenades (here's some of mine), you really should consider branching out into that area addiction:tinysmile_shy_t:.

Cheers

Last edited:
WOW Colin

Now Colin, That is one very impressive Japanese display. You obviously have one very fine collection. Me likee. I absolutely love that Japanese helmet as I am trying to get a helmet shell for each type of grenade(s) I have. Have located a WWII Japanese shell (no star) for 20.00 and figure I can make a pseudo star for it. It gives me ideas but I have too many irons in fire right now. Best to you and yours..Dano P.S. Also point well taken on how all stuff came from someones grandpappy. D

Last edited:
Japanese Character Markings;

Chris,
I believe the real part of the story lies in the Japanese characters on each of the flags. Have you attempted to get them translated?
Regards,
John aka Bart

Thanks guys, I didn't know you liked Jap helmets Dano. Here's a photo of my back yard ... I wish

Attachments

• Guadalcanal Jap helmets 2005.jpg
    Guadalcanal Jap helmets 2005.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 54
In negotiations right now with a collector for the whole lot, but still taking offers. Prefer to sell it all together (grenade excluded, that is separate), time constraints are a consideration here.

Kanji script - the real story

That is so true John aka BART, :tinysmile_shy_t:
I have a Hinumaru flag just like the above and I know that it was captured in Bougainville and have its history since then on whos hands it had pased through etc.
But all of that means nothing to me. The real story lies with the kanji script on the flag. I was able find out the name of the Japanese soldier who it belonged to and a few other things, but the real problem is that most modern Japanese have such a limited knowledge of Kanji that they can only translate a few characters.
I have a huge heap of Japanese eguipment etc. and it all has only Kanji characters when it comes to markings or instructions. Every Japanese backpaker so far that has try to help me can't because of their limited knowledge of Kanji. One must find the older generation to have any luck in translating.
Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE :tinysmile_shy_t:

Chris,
I believe the real part of the story lies in the Japanese characters on each of the flags. Have you attempted to get them translated?
Regards,
John aka Bart

also found this bag under the fold of the box and this "coin" in the ID book... Can someone help me ID the coin? I am leaning toward a good luck charm of sorts, but cant find anything like it on the net..
Research seems to point to a "personal effects bag", and since it is small, would have been for coins/valuables.. Any help on that would be appreciated..

Attachments

• jap coin1b.jpg
    jap coin1b.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 16
  • jap coin 2b.jpg
    jap coin 2b.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Jap bag2.jpg
    Jap bag2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 11