What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mk IV, XII & XIX GUNS F.A.

Falcon

I have a shell case which is stamped on the base "4IN Mk IV XII & XIX GUNS F.A." Does the "F.A" stand for "Fixed Ammunition" or somehting else? Fixed Ammunition would made sense as the case has a crimp at the top.

Thanks in advance for any info.

For US it would be Field Artillery. I suspect that this would be the same.

I have a shell case which is stamped on the base "4IN Mk IV XII & XIX GUNS F.A." Does the "F.A" stand for "Fixed Ammunition" or somehting else? Fixed Ammunition would made sense as the case has a crimp at the top.

Thanks in advance for any info.

The Navy Ammunition Handbook for 1945 is a little vague on the question of Cartridge Case stampings with 'FA' but with respect to projectiles over 6-pr it does say the mark of the shell will be stencilled and with Fixed Ammunition this will be prefixed with the letters F.A. At least that suggests that in naval parlance FA stands for Fixed Ammunition as you surmised. I presume the purpose of this is to do with sorting out cases when they get returned through the logistics system since there were some guns that could fire separate or fixed ammunition.

FA

I've always taken FA to stand for fixed ammunition particularly as the two types of 12pr 12cwt are marked FA for the crimped variant. 2pr

It also means Frankford Arsenal

But with the list of guns which all use the same case Fixed Ammunition seems to make more sense.