Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Good theory,i like!

cheers

waff

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOMBSaway1980 View Post
    the german's were always into presion, The US just cast the munition because they knew they would never see them again.
    Its very true, why make it look nice when its just going to go bang. Its not like it needed to be aerodynamic.

Dave.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Looking at the butterfly pressed steel parts, they look almost identical, just wondered if if the Americans used captured machinery and tooling to make them.

Thanks
    Hi Chris,good theory too mate. What a cracking night of threads we've had!
    Only Monday as well!

best

waff

RIP
    Images
    Thanks

2koolstuff

To Dave, This is no where near my alley of collecting, but I must say some of the nicest stuff i've seen that I don't collect. Might not have to twist my arm too damn hard to get interested! The eye appeal of these beautys must have more than a bit of the prices these jewells fetch. I had no idea that the U.S. made these until I joined BOCN. Keep 'em coming.... Smashing display...Always..Dano
    Last edited by dano1917; 22nd September 2009 at 02:21 AM.

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Images
    Thanks
    HPIM4652.jpgHPIM4653.jpgHPIM4654.jpgHPIM4655.jpgHPIM4656.jpg

Here are some photos of a US M83 in my collection, together with a incomplete set of wings. The complete one is a dummy and has only a very crude immitation of a fuze, presumably the M129 as it has a screw representing the setting plug. The incomplete one has remnants of original paint - olive green with yellow stripe across the wings (I removed a rather nasty coat of paint which covered them when I got them) You will notice that the bar to which the wings are attatched is of stamped steel on both examples, also on the complete one that the end arming discs are totally different. Not sure if this indicates later manufacture?
    Please note that all items are empty and inert. Butterfly bombs are not to be messed with.
    Hope you enjoy looking at the photos, will get better as this is the first time I've done this, its all new to me!!
    Butterfly

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 782 Posts
    Dave,

Have you a close up image of the join line and possibly an oblique internal view. For a casting that size it looks far too big. Image 4, it looks almost like a weld line.

Regards

Tim

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,307 Times in 755 Posts
    Yes, it is very easy to see in Dave's photo, the U.S. body is made from two halves welded together, whereas the German body is a one-piece design. It makes the parts much easier to manufacture, but requires the welding operation. The German body requires a sand plug (that makes up the cavity) which has to be in the mold when the molten steel is poured, and requires all the labor to make the plugs and put the plugs into the mold and then remove the sand once the body has cooled. The U.S. method could actually be faster to manufacture.
    ___HAZ/
    _____/ORD Hazardous Ordnance Recognition
    ________Saving Lives Through Education

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 1,164 Posts
    Digging through my photos from home, I've got at least one late war piece which I seem to recall is an SD-2 which was very roughly welded from two halves. Maybe late in the war they were putting quantity over quality? Also, I've seen and photographed US M83s dated as early as 1943, which would make it unlikely that the US used captured materials or equipment for their manufacture.

The first two photos are filed as from my SD-2s, the second two photos are of one of my M83s. I'm not at home right now and cannot confirm, but I'm pretty sure the second photo is an SD-2.

I'm missing a cable for the first SD-2 shown, so if anyone has one for sale or trade.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzeman View Post
    Hi Dave
    Very interesting to see the difference , between the German and American bombs
    Steve
    Thanks Steve.
    Dave.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast