What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butterfly - American and German

To Dave, This is no where near my alley of collecting, but I must say some of the nicest stuff i've seen that I don't collect. Might not have to twist my arm too damn hard to get interested! The eye appeal of these beautys must have more than a bit of the prices these jewells fetch. I had no idea that the U.S. made these until I joined BOCN. Keep 'em coming.... Smashing display...Always..Dano

Thanks Dano. Glad to see you're on the slippery slope and getting into these little beauties!!
Dave.

Hi butterfly, glad to see you've worked out how to put photos on the forum. Very nice items. I was looking at an American version a couple of weeks ago and it had exactly the same features that you mention. They must have copied the German version exactly (as is mainly the case with mine) and then improved on it (as with yours).
Dave.

View attachment 17984View attachment 17985View attachment 17986View attachment 17987View attachment 17988

Here are some photos of a US M83 in my collection, together with a incomplete set of wings. The complete one is a dummy and has only a very crude immitation of a fuze, presumably the M129 as it has a screw representing the setting plug. The incomplete one has remnants of original paint - olive green with yellow stripe across the wings (I removed a rather nasty coat of paint which covered them when I got them) You will notice that the bar to which the wings are attatched is of stamped steel on both examples, also on the complete one that the end arming discs are totally different. Not sure if this indicates later manufacture?
Please note that all items are empty and inert. Butterfly bombs are not to be messed with.
Hope you enjoy looking at the photos, will get better as this is the first time I've done this, its all new to me!!
Butterfly

I don't have an SD2, but I have a couple of the U.S. version. For those of you that have both, is the fuze thread the same on both, so a U.S. fuze would screw into an SD2, or is the SD2 metric thread, and the U.S. English thread or what?

If they are different, that would be a dead giveaway on identification.

Last edited:
Measurements.

Hi John the thread size is completely different.

The diameter of the fuzes measured over the threads are as follows:

German fuze is 37.75mm

American fuze is 44.11mm

See also attached photos.

Dave.

Attachments

• Butterfly - American and German fuze comparison 001.jpg
    Butterfly - American and German fuze comparison 001.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Butterfly - American and German fuze comparison 002.jpg
    Butterfly - American and German fuze comparison 002.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 26
Thanks Dave!

It seems pretty easy to identify the body by the diameter of the fuze/fuzewell hole. If it has the larger diameter hole it is U.S.. Of course, if you have the fuzes, the differences in design can be seen along with the german writing on the German fuze.

Last edited:
View attachment 17984View attachment 17985View attachment 17986View attachment 17987View attachment 17988

Here are some photos of a US M83 in my collection, together with a incomplete set of wings. The complete one is a dummy and has only a very crude immitation of a fuze, presumably the M129 as it has a screw representing the setting plug. The incomplete one has remnants of original paint - olive green with yellow stripe across the wings (I removed a rather nasty coat of paint which covered them when I got them) You will notice that the bar to which the wings are attatched is of stamped steel on both examples, also on the complete one that the end arming discs are totally different. Not sure if this indicates later manufacture?
Please note that all items are empty and inert. Butterfly bombs are not to be messed with.
Hope you enjoy looking at the photos, will get better as this is the first time I've done this, its all new to me!!
Butterfly

Hi Buterfly, very nice items you have there.
What is the thread diameter on the fuze?
Dave.